Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

At which point is my warranty void?

Dear Sony, and Sony Users,

I recently have made the move to a Xperia S handset after using a HTC for several years, and so far, I'm quite happy. However, as a power user (and someone who wants to really control their phone), I have always gone down the route of "rooting" my devices. I'm the not the kind of person to overclock them, nor will I give them a serious run for the money: but just root them to flash custom ROMs (maybe) in the future, but mostly just to block adverts, use backup and restore and other, more complex commands.

However, on the HTC phones, once you've rooted it, you're away. With Sony, it's different. There is the bootloader that must be unlocked, and then you root it. The mere idea that Sony welcome you to unlock the bootloader shows their commitment to the developer and power user community. But, this is not simple to understand.

It's made very clear that you may lose your warranty if you unlock your device, as it's device dependant. There is no specific guidelines for the Xperia S, however.

I want to know something, and hopefully Sony (or users who are proficient in the knowledge) can help:

At which point is my warranty voided: When I unlock the bootloader, or when I root it, or at a different time?

It's not very simple for new Sony users to understand. I want to merely get Superuser permissions so that I can block adverts and the above, but it is a large and confusing risk with the warranty's vagueness.

Hopefully someone can help with an answer I can trust.

I'm certain that this will not be the last time that this question will be asked, and I'm sure it will prove beneficial to other new users and adopters.

Many sincere thanks.

MM.

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Re: At which point is my warranty void?

Basically as per the information on the page we have referencing unlocking the boot loader, the warranty is void as soon as you do this.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Thank you for your reply Sam. I really appreciate this.

I just felt that there was a bit of vagueness as it said you may void it.

Is there a way to root the Xperia S without unlocking the bootloader, however, as it is supported and necessary for the developer community?

Again, sincere thanks for your speedy reply. Top class support. :smileyhappy:

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Sorry I cannot help regarding rooting your phone. Some of the other users here are likely to assist you though.

What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks.

So, just to confirm, if I unlock my bootloader via the official route, regardless of anything else, my warranty is instantly void?

(See, going by this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23868547&postcount=92- It says that the warranty is only dependant on the country I'm in. If Ireland is different to India, etc.)

Again, thanks for the fast reply.

You should be on overtime for working so late! :smileywink:

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Yes that is correct; whilst the warranty differs in some respects from country to country if a repair agent receives a phone with an unlocked bootloader the tools they use will tell them the firmware has been modified and the warranty is void.

As a side note, its only lunch time here in New Zealand :smileylaugh:

Oracle
suze

So my thoughts on this are that you firstly don't need to unlock your bootloader to root your phone and run certain roms, use Titanium backup to remove apps/bloatware.  Your phone can then be reflashed by using Sony Update Service or Flashtools/Wotanclient and it will then be back to an official firmware.  This is a very grey area that if your phone went in for repair whether the service centre would be able to detect that changes had been made.  With my Moderator hat on I would have to say that you need to be aware that it may void your warranty, with my Moderator hat off I have flashed my old X10 with different firmware to get the 2.3 update quicker and it was repaired under warranty absolutely fine.

However Sam is absolutely on the money with unlocked bootloader = void warranty.

Anonymous(anon)

As a new Sony user, is it possible that you could (potentially) root your phone without locking the bootloader?

Currently there is an issue with the bootloader which means that we cannot root it without unlocking it until it is fixed. Is there any update on the bootloader coming relatively soon?

Nabeel

MediaMonkey wrote:

As a new Sony user, is it possible that you could (potentially) root your phone without locking the bootloader?

WITHOUT LOCKING  THE BOOTLOADER ??

i hope you mean without unlocking the bootloader

YOU cannot root until you unlock your bootloader ( at present )

As xperia S is a "just released" case, it would take time for the developers to find a way to root it without unlocking it
actually there is no way to root your phone, If an xperia S user wants to root his/her device, he needs to flash a custom pre rooted rom, ( installing custom roms = bootloader unlock = warranty )

Need any help related to moderation? message me or any other moderator.