Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

tonypitts@talktalk.net

Apparently you cant go back to gingerbread from ICS

After reading on hear I could revert my phone back to gingerbread through a sony service centre it appears it is not possible read the sony chat discussion below if any sony support guys have a different opinion let me know.

Customer Chat

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...

You are currently in position number 1 in the queue.

You have now been connected to an agent.

Hayley:  Hi Tony, thank you for contacting Sony Xperia UK Chat Support. My name is Hayley, please could I take your full name and email address?

Hayley:  Thank you for providing me with this information, Please could you confirm which model of phone you have and which network it is on?

Tony:  Xperia S on 02

Hayley:  Thank you, how can I help you today?

Tony:  I want to change the operating system back to gingerbread from ICS I have been told by sony forums that I have to take it to a sony service centre. will this cost me anything and is there a centre near me. postcode is SS3

Hayley:  It isn't possible to downgrade the software on your handset I'm afraid, this is only possible on older handsets.

Tony:  Really I have only just updated is there not a way a sony service centre can reset it?

Hayley:  Unfortunately it can't be done with the S.

Tony:  Ok Thanks

Hayley:  No problem Tony. I hope the information I have provided is okay. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tony:  No thanks

Hayley:  Ok. Thanks for using Sony Xperia Chat Support today. Goodbye.

Your session has ended.  You may now close this window.

Send

End Session

Email

Agent Image

Powered by Oracle

Master
Thommo

Re: Apparently you cant go back to gingerbread from ICS

Well maybe they won't downgrade you but you can downgrade back to Gingerbread manually

I have 6.0.A.3.75_O2 UK Firmware which was the last UK Gingerbread firmware released before ICS all you need is Flashtool and that firmware and the drivers installed

To check power off your phone, Hold Volume down and connect the USB cable - If the drivers are installed then device manager will not have any errors or yellow warning symbols

If interested reply and i'll post a link to the firmware with fast download speed

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Anonymous(anon)

I got the same answer by phone from Sony support in Sweden.

Then I googled around and solved it myself. Maybe Sony should hire me :smileywink:

Here's how I did. without rooting the phone:

1.Downloaded a new ftf:

LT26i_6.0.A.3.75_1257-6919.ftf.zip

(worked as a charm for me in Sweden, dunno which countries it supports,think I saw Belgium though)

2.Downloaded and installed Flashtool + update

checkout http://androxyde.github.com/

3.Also needed to install some driver:

checkout and follow instructions:

http://www.thespicygadgematics.com/2012/05/easily-quickly-install-android-adb.html

After all above,

4.I unzipped the ftf into C:\Flashtool\firmwares

5.Started flashtool and pressed the flash-button

Be sure to FOLLOW all onscreen instructions !!

And now I am a happy Xperia S-owner again with GB.

Don't ask me any questions about above, all is written on the pages or as instructions in the programs.

Happy flashing!

tonypitts@talktalk.net

cool if you could post a link that would be great

Master
Thommo

Firmware below

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-yM_qnM8ZPRLXhSWGhSQV9tOEE

Instructions (Ignore the debrand name - It's the same for any manual upgrade and or downgrade)

http://www.xperiablog.net/2012/03/26/debrand-your-xperia-s-tutorial/

Also if you do downgrade you will have to wipe user data and start fresh as ICS settings will be carried over and will cause some serious problems

If you get stuck or are unsure reply back

Message was edited by: Thommo No need to root or anything like that

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.   Richard P. Feynman

Sony Xperia Support
Jake-SonyXperiaSupport

I suggest contacting sony Xperia Support within the UK via phone and advise what you wish to do. Please use the link below to find contact details.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/support/contact-us/

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Master
Thommo

Any chance of explaing why

I already know the answer but lets hear your reason for other members before I post the official reason

tonypitts@talktalk.net

Just to update. Contacted Sony support today via phone and they said it is not a service they offer I cannot revert back to gingerbread.

Master
Thommo

So Sony is been a big help - Typical, They push out a rom that is full of bugs which they know about and won't offer any help - Well this is known as an inherent fault caused by software which by UK law gives you the ability to cancell any contracts or claim a refund,

Acer fell into this trap about 2 years ago with there bios updates sony have done the same with there ICS update

Proof of an inherent fault is here in the forums many many many members reporting the same issues which then becomes an inherent fault