Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Xperia Play bricked by software update

I've not had it long enough to comment on how good a phone it is, haven't even made a call with it :smileylaugh:

So far it appears to be better than my previous Android phone, the Motorolla Milestone 2. Most of the functionality appears the same thanks to the Android OS but the Xperia Play appears to be more responsive, it also has a bigger screen and a forward facing camera for video calls (not sure if I'll ever use this).

As for the games, you get Crash Bandicoot, Bruce Lee (I think this is the fighting game from the video), FIFA 10, Star Battalion and Sims 3 pre-installed. I've also tried downloading Asphalt 6 for free but haven't been able to play it yet (Gameloft have a wierd system where the game needs to download additional data before you can play it but either their servers are too be busy or my wireless router needs rebooting). I already have Asphalt 5 which works really well but without the gamepad support.

There is an Assassin's Creed game from Gameloft, haven't tried it yet though (costs £3 from their website), don't know if there is going to be a CoD game but there is a Band of Brothers game (not sure if its optimised for Xperia Play) and Splinter Cell.

Anonymous(anon)

Hey dude, sounds good! I know £3 isn't very much for a game, but I'm looking at getting as many games as I can get and it's gonna add up. Hypothetically, how would someone go about aquiring such games for free? :smileyhappy:

Trustee
Jeff

Hi,

Just wanted to shout out that I've read what's happened to your phones. Glad they are both working at this point regardless :smileyhappy:

As for what happened. It's difficult to say obviously.

The battery drain could've been the issue - "They" say battery life on a new device needs a few cycles to get up to speed.

It's hard to say if the update service app. could've negatively effected the PLAY, but it isn't something to be passed by.

Please let me know if you have any other issues!

Trustee
Jeff

Hi,

Just for the record, did the phone or PC Companion prompt you to try the update? Or did you just do it on your own? (It wasn't wrong to do it, I just want to get a clearer picture of what happened). Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Hello,

It was PC Companion.

I can't remember if it actually prompted me to install the updated but it was prominently displayed when I connected the phone for the first time.

Anonymous(anon)

I don't know where you can commercial games for free. I'm sure there will be some websites that illegaly share them but, after spending a good few years in the games industry, I prefer to support the developers by paying for the games I like :smileyhappy:

There are quite a few games available for free on the Android marketplace as well as 'Lite' or ad supported games that you can try before you buy but these may not be optimised for the Xperia Play.

Anonymous(anon)

same trouble here after I used PC companion to update Xperia Play

I tried the link for the Update Service, installed it and used it but no difference, it still will not start, all I get is 2-4 seconds of it trying to boot, the logotype and a triangle with an exclamation mark next to a pticture of a phone

I tried with a different SIM-card and a different SD-card

I assume the boot sequence can not load, anybody know how to get it to start with Factory settings? or if possible, any idea how to get it to boot properly?

Anonymous(anon)

There is an option to restore to factory settings in the Update Service program but this didn't help get my phone to boot (although it must have done something as everything had reset by the time it finally booted)

My phone finally booted again after leaving the battery out for a while and then reinserting it and connecting it to the mains charger. I didn't try powering it up and it booted on its own after about 5 minutes

Anonymous(anon)

Well i have tried everything under the sun including updater for mine but this is really unimpressive...Sony please do not destroy all them years of me buying your products and being as loyal as a hound ....I really hope this inconvieniance ends soon as i need a phone more than anything at the moment...Was this why O2 didn't get onboard straight away ? Because your software is bugged....Tsk Tsk i hope not !!!! Still trying to sort this out but to be honest if it doesnt happen then i will be another iphone 4 inductee and bring this handset back to the shop for one tomorrow... Shame on you Sony !

Anonymous(anon)

I sort of feel the same way... I have already talked to the shop and sony ericsson support, I will have to send it in for repairs, fortunately I have the x10i so I am not really losing any functionality