Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Demigod
KrazyD

Re: Xperia Play bricked by software update

Glad I could get you on your way :smileyhappy:.

Anonymous(anon)

I have the same issue. Accept mine hasn't comeback :smileysad:

I've tried the Update service, which seemed to be working, the update bar was moving very slowly, but, didn't get half way and the message 'software install has failed'. Have tried the repair phone option in pc companion. This seems to be stuck on the prepare option with a green circle spinning round and the message 'Please wait'

Watched the whole of 'Where eagles dare' and it was still sat their with the same circle and the same message :smileysad:

Really disappointed as it was working great before I requested the software update through pc companion, now I can't turn it on. It just vibrates breifly, no display, nothing.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thinking of taking it back to the store, see if they can assist.

My pc is running windows 7 64

Anonymous(anon)

I still don't know what happened with mine bit it is working fine now.

I'd just about given up when I tried leaving the battery out for 10 minutes or so and then replaced the battery and tried charging the phone off the mains charger. After a while (not sure how long it was) it powered itself on and booted normally.

In my case, I suspect the battery had drained quite rapidly (it had only had one full charge) and, although the battery was more than half full when I started updating, it had almost run out before the update could complete.

Anonymous(anon)

Very odd behaviour!! Its been down and not working all day - No sooner had I posted this, started messing around with it again, triying to update - battery out 5 secs, back in, plug usb in and bam, it starts to boots up normally?!?!

Not only that, but, pc companion says handset is now up-to-date?

Not that I'm too fussed, just glad its now working. Just loaded my tunes onto it and tinkering with settings.

Dood, I have the Heat shoot out scene, loaded that using mediaGo and it plays reallllly well :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Hey guys,

I know this is completely off-topic. But you're the only actual real users of this phone I can seem to find online so far. My upgrade is due in a couple of days and I've had my eye on this phone for months, but have been very worried about some of the things I've read about it. Like... gaming side not up to scratch, not enough games, browser is slow and clunky etc etc. And now I'm torn between the Play and the iPhone 4.

As real consumers and not just random reviewers, what can you tell me?

It would be muchly appreciated :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

Anonymous(anon)

Excellent :smileyhappy:

I still wouldn't mind knowing what caused the problem in the first place though :smileyconfused:

Anonymous(anon)

I've not had much time to play with mine yet but so far its been great.

The supplied games work great although I'm a bit disappointed that there aren't any PSOne titles available appart from the one (Crash Bandicoot) preinstalled.

The main reason I chose this phone over ther Android devices (and there are some nice handsets coming out this year) was the built in gamepad as I like tinkering with emulators. I've been using it with PCE EMU to play Alien Crush Pinball and its been brilliant :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Ahh, ok thanks!

I would call myself a gamer, but unfortunately I don't know the first thing about emulators or jailbreaking etc. I love my Xbox 360 and PC for gaming, but my DS recently broke and I do a fair amount of travelling. When I saw this as an option to upgrade to, it really did tick some boxes. But as a complete novice in the mobile gaming world (emulators and the like) would you still recommend this phone in spite of the other recent mobile phones?

Anonymous(anon)

I think I would recommend it to others but I'd suggest waiting a month or so to ensure any teething problems are resolved (not sure if my problems were related to user error or an actual problem with the update).

I'd chosen the Xperia Play mainly for the game pad. There are already a selection of good emulators for Android (no jailbreaking required) and most allow you to redefine the controls. There are also some existing games on the market place that have been optimised for the Xperia Play (which probably just means they support the game pad). The only thing that has disappointed me so far is the lack of PSOne titles, one comes pre-installed (Crash Bandicoot) but I haven't been able to find any more.

There is also an app which lists Xperia Play exclusive and optimised games only. I believe these titles are certified by Sony it so should help you avoid some of the rubbish available on the market place.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks dude, you've been very helpful!

I'm more concerned about the actual Xperia Play games, IGN released this video a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P_vFdfFvwA

You may have already seen it, but there's a lot of titles mentioned that I haven't actually seen or heard anything about but do appeal to me a lot.

If some games like Assassins's Creed and CoD etc do get released on the Xperia (and there's ways of getting them for free) then I'm really, really interested. or

Also, how does it hold up as a phone? Is it a jack of all trades or have they really got it spot on?

Your opinions on this would be really valuable to me as a genuine consumer, thanks for your comments already, really appreciated :smileyhappy: