Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Xperia Play bricked by software update

Hello,

I need urgent help with my new Xperia Play.

I connected it to my PC using the PC Companion which told me there was a software update. As I was aware there were apparently some teething problems I though it would be a good idea to allow it to update.

This was a big mistake as the update failed and I'm now left with a phone that doesn't even power on. I've followed the instuctions within the PC Companion software but it doesn't even recognise the phone, it will connect and is recognised as 'Sony Ericsson Phone' but will disconnect shortly afterwards.

Any help would be appreciated as I have so far been able to find contact information for Sony Ericcson technical support in the UK and don't know if I should return the phone to the company I purchased it from (on a contract) or directly to Sony Ericsson if the problem cannot be resolved.

Thanks,

Jon

Demigod
KrazyD

Re: Xperia Play bricked by software update

Helllo, have you tried installing Sony Ericsson Update Service and reinstalling the software with that? If this doesn't help I would advise that you take it back.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks for the reply

Unfortumately thats not available for the Xperia Play, the Sony Ericson PC Companion is supposed to deal with software updates but thats what killed it in the first place and doesn't recognise the phone any more :smileysad:

Demigod
KrazyD

If you go here http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/110/61/1294043165/Update_Service_Setup-2.11.1.9.exe

Then install that program which is Sony Ericsson Update Service and update the phone as it is listed. Hopefully this will allow you to reinstall the software.

Anonymous(anon)

Finally found out how to contact support, not sure I'll get much help there unless theres some way of forcing an update from SD.

I guess I'll have to phone the place I got it from tomorrow :smileycry:

Demigod
KrazyD

Are you not going to try the update service?

Anonymous(anon)

Doesn't seem to run on Windows 7, I'll reboot my PC and try again...

Demigod
KrazyD

I'm currently running Windows 7 32bit and it works fine for me, here is a screenshot.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2zgvgyg.png

Anonymous(anon)

Ok, reboot has fixed the update service.

Its running now but the progress bar for installing the update isn't moving. If this doesn't work I'll try a factory reset and maybe try running the update from another machine.

Thanks for your help

Anonymous(anon)

Ok, not sure what is going on here but the phone has come back to life.

Managed to get the update service to almost complete and then left it off for a bit with the battery removed. When I reassembled it and connected the charger it came back to life :smileyhappy:

I have a couple of theories:

1- there is an intermittent fault with the device

2- because it is new and the battery has not been 'conditioned' the battery indicator may have been giving me false informationand the battery simply ran out of power during the update.

For now, I'll just give the battery a few full charges and see how it goes. I'll be a bit scared of doing an update from now on though.

Thanks again for your help.

Jon