Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: Video Calling with the Xperia PLAY?

lets keep this on a single thread

I'm not saying this feature is useless but I doubt google adding this feature, since they can't make money out of it, as for networks asking smartphone companies to include this could a selling point but at the same time networks won't make money, lets face it, networks will rather sell you a data plan than a phone that will give you free video calls.

I hope Sony include this as an app that can be downloaded from the market so users that have networks capable of this can take advantage of and users that don't have this feature on their networks won't suffer from more bloatware

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

I apologise for having replied in different threads.

That is also my opinion.

I also hope Sony will provide that.

Thank you for your attention and patience to my request.

Regards.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

no problem, but I rather Sony fix the list of issues across all Xperias before implementing another feature that might or might not work and/or will add to the bugs

List of issues to be solve ASAP

http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/127737

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

After a few months of using my Xperia Play, I've come to a conclusion regardiong Sony and this specific model.

I like this phone as a "Play" phone. I like the gamepad although I wish the phone has larger internal memory.

But, all things considered, I have to recognise 3G native video calls are something that I miss, that are useful and that I now realise have helped samsung's and htc's sales in the highly competitive android market.
  In Europe (and India, apparently) people are used to placing video calls at no extra cost and not needing any extra software or connection, and that is both positive and useful.

Google has tried to sell Android phones without native video calling, but older users who were used to it and all those whose price plans include video calls won't accep it.

I will also be very sorry if Sony doesn't include native video calling on their ICS update and I am sure that will mean one thing:
My next phone WON'T be another Sony. (This is my third Sony phone, now)

Bear in mind, it's quite common for whole families having the same brand/type of phone and enjoying native video calls, just as they do with "regular" voice calls.
That means that if I change from sony to another brand, it will be more than a single phone sony will stop selling, because no one in my family will do the same mistake I did.

I believed having a gamepad would be great, and no doubt about it, IT IS!
But, at the end of the day, you'll be wanting and needing a... PHONE!
And getting myself an android phone with video calling capability will NOT stop me from playing my games!
Just think about it.