Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
gregoryopera

Video Calling with the Xperia PLAY?

Here's a strange one for you all- how in the heck do you make video-calls on Sony Ericsson's Xperia PLAY ("PlayStation phone")? I know my way around technology and I worked for Telstra for many years, but for the life of me, I cannot find out how to make a video-call on this **bleep** thing! lol

Anyway, I just shot an e-mail off to Sony Ericsson, but maybe one of you guys has worked it out?

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Video Calling with the Xperia PLAY?

Currently video calling is only available through the Skype App.

The 2.3.4 update in October will allow for video calling through Google.

One time poster
gregoryopera

And by "Google", you are course referring to the Android operating system?

Anonymous(anon)

• Google Talk with Video Chat for smartphones with front-facing cameras

same technology but different method.

One time poster
gregoryopera

I've been doing a bit of digging and what you're referring to is video chat, not video calls... Furthermore, the Wikipedia entry for Android states that video calls are not natively supported by Android at this time (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)#Features).

Interestingly, the same Wikipedia article states that certain manufacturers (Samsung is used as an example on the Wikipedia article) have implemented their own video-calling functionality in Android-powered devices... Sure would be nice to see Sony Ericsson do the same with their Android devices (hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink).

I'll tell you though, I can't believe it. I'm absolutely dumfounded.

Of the five maintsteam smartphone operating systems (Apple's iOS, Google's Android, Microsoft's Windows Phone 7, Nokia's Symbian OS and Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS), only two (Nokia's Symbian OS and Research in Motion's BlackBerry OS) support video calling... And they're both pretty old by today's standards!

Are these companies deliberately trying to take us back ten yerars in technology? Or are they just run by a bunch of monkeys?

Anonymous(anon)

Video chat/ video call  = video over 3G to other devices.

Essentially this is last gen technology as many third parties are making applications to supply exactly the same service except it is cheaper to do the video because of peoples access to wi-fi and 3G nowadays.

You will also notice that skype/google contacts are automatically added to your phone contacts and if you are calling anyone with current technology they probably have the same software pre-installed on their phones.

I don't see the point in any android device supporting this obsolete technology when there is already a better alternative that the mobile carriers can't slap on an imaginary price tag to.

One time poster
gregoryopera

I can see where you're coming from, particularly with the cost of data (slowly) falling in most countries... But this is still dependant on compatibility between software and handsets.

For example, Skype is rarely pre-installed on smartphones and whilst Google Talk is available on most Android-powered devices, it is rare amongst other smartphone operating systems and/or severely limited with regards to functionality (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_talk#Mobile_device_compatibility)...

Yes this is potentially a better implementation, but unlike "traditional" video talk, it is not universal and until it is, the feature is wasted.

Anonymous(anon)

I hope Sony will take advantage of this opportunity (updating Software) to include Video Calls (as HTC or Samsung do).

The Xperia phones have the capability of having video calls via netwok without further programmes or payments, as we had with older Sony phones.

Video calls made as a simple / regular voice call are common and people do not have to pay extra for them.

Nowadays, you'll need to pay an extra - limited - data plan, be located in a WiFi area and make sure both phone ave the same software installed.

Originally, you just had to select the contact and click "video call" and that was it.

No hassles, no extra charges, no worries about data limitations.

Have we gone back in time, or what?

I know of people who have chosen other brands that still allow them video calling as simply and cheaply as they've been used to.

Me? I have gone for a "gaming" phone, but as I obviously also need it as a phone, I feel ther's something missing and I even consider going back to an older model in order to keep the best of both worlds (gaming & video communications).

'3G' Video calls are an important buying factor.

This is a chance to be taken. I hope Sony developers won't miss it!

Forum Legend
uliwooly

not quite, this feature its not supported by android, the only phone I've heard of that can do such is a the samsung galaxy SI but on a specific network, iOS WindowsMobile doesn't support this feature, and I don't think RIM does.

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

HTC DIamond / Diamond 2- Windows Mobile 6.5 still have native video call capability.

Video calling is not old-fashion, nor useless.

It's something that people use freely, without worrying about installing extra software or paying extra for it.

To perform regular 3G video call within GSM network, from Portugal to Poland (throughout Europe) you simply dial the number and choose the video call option.

I do not doubt that Android does NOT support native video calls. That is exactly what Google intended.

As a consumer, I praise and tend do purchase the products that meet my needs. That is why I - as many consumers worldwide - have come to the conclusion that we do miss having video calls whichcontinue to be included in our base-price-plans and that are comfortable and important, specially whenever you're away dfrom your dear ones, whatever the reason.

LG,  HTC (with their new ) has kept video call on their "Sense" software.

That means that if Sony wants to, we´ll have video calling... again... as we used to!

That is what I am asking.

I am trying to make Sony understand that including native support for video calls as other manufactureres have done will be a big selling point and - ultimately - it will come to their advantage.

Including video calling on Sony phones will make them more competitive in the global market.

After all, what have they got to lose?

Eventually, consumers will realise they don't have to lose video calls to gain... whatever.

If they buy an other brand they'll get the best of both worlds.

Won't Sony understand that?

As a long time Sony consumer, used to having video calls, I recognise the advances my Xperia has got.

But I am also aware that if I look elsewhere, I'll be able to keep those same improvments AND still have video calls to my friends and relatives at no extra cost, hassle or limitation.