Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
HwaA18

Root ALL SONY ERICSSON SMARTPHONE 2.3.2 AND UP!!!

Rooting (or Jailbreaking if you're used to the iPhone) is pretty awesome - it enables you to use a whole bunch of apps that are previously offlimits (such as Titanium Backup - a piece of software that will back up all of your .apks. It also enables you to remove some of the built-in bloat that Sony stuffed onto the Xperia Play which frees up a bit more space for new apps (Who honestly needs the Chinese keyboard on their phone?!)

The classic way to root a phone is to first unlock the boatloader and then through that, install a version of your ROM that allows root access. However, although SE are providing a way to unlock the bootloader on a Play, this is not ideal because:

1. Unlocking the bootloader automatically invalidates your warranty
  2. When you have unlocked your bootloader, the software update function on your phone stops working as SE consider your phone to be "modified"
  3. Most phones are SIM-locked to a particular network and are therefore not even candidates to be bootloader unlocked

The solution is to root your phone without unlocking the bootloader. How? A new application called UnlockRoot does it all for you! Literally, all you need to do is download the UnlockRoot.exe, run it and enjoy your new rooted Play. I can confirm  that it is 100% working and took about 2 minutes from start to finish.

All you have to do is connect to your computer, enable USB debugging which is accessible through Settings>applications>devlopment>USB debugging

open UnlockRoot.exe and click root, after that it should take the comp. 1 min tounlock then 1 min to reboot then voila you have it rooted!

to download click here!( or look for link in paragragh 3) and to see the  supported devices click here! Only bad thing it doesn't work for R800x 2.3.4, sorry

Have fun!

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Root ALL SONY ERICSSON SMARTPHONE 2.3.2 AND UP!!!

This worked great! Took about 5 min. and superuser installed just perfectly!  About to install the 2.3.4 to see if it works.  Let ya know.

Anonymous(anon)

Does this work with 2.3.4? I was thinking of rooting my xperia play, but what are the benefits of doing so?

Any moderator who could confirm that rooting won't void my warranty?

Forum Legend
uliwooly

This takes seconds :smileysilly:

This is how to root

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1312859

Don't forget to mark the Correct Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

WOW.. this app is such a drop of water in a desert, after i've been looking for the easiest way to root my xplay.

what do i have to do the next? i want to delete all unnecessary app in the phone storage to free up more space.

thank you for you're willing to help

Forum Legend
uliwooly

it'll be different for your play, it all depend on your build number, create a new thread so I can guide you through the process and give you all the options

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
HwaA18

on the market type in root uninstaller and install. :smileywink:

One time poster
RustySpoon80

What are the drawbacks of rooting? All I want to do is unistall all the bloatware (fifa 10 etc).

But I'd like to still use Sonys updates etc. Can you still do this?

One time poster
HwaA18

is your model number?

r800x r800i r800a r800at

One time poster
HwaA18

i think...