Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.
It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.
2011-09-16 07:05 PM
I managed to get it working by uninstalling the PC Companion, its updates, drivers, and also uninstalling Windows Mobile Center.
I plugged the phone in afterwards, and allowed it to install the PC Companion, worked without incident.
Dunno if that'll help anyone!
2011-11-12 03:55 PM
Solution is as follows:
-Open PC Companion
-Plug in phone, unmount sd card (settings>storage>) immediately thereafter
-Once phone is shown as connected on PC Companion: mount SD Card back.
IMHO Issue arises from the fact that windows search phone service (pnp discovery) lasts only for a set period of time which is not enough for the pnp discovery service to readthrough several GB's of the entire SD Card and send back a signal with device id while scanning the entire device. Thus, we must help windows (other OS's i guess too) by splitting the process on read-device w/o sd card only (for the time sensitive discovery service), and then, read sd card (on a process w/o time limit like read filesystem )...
ps.- it may actually be Android OS's fault because when we have the SD card unmounted, windows reads OK
2011-12-07 09:25 PM
I had the same problem,
The sistem give me a code 10 error when connect to pc companion thru USB
The only thing that work is, close pc companion, unmount the sd card(settings>storage>), than connect the phone with the usb cable, than open the pc companion,
I hope there is a better solution for this insue!!!
2012-04-11 06:05 PM
You may already solved this problem but i just fixed this issue with my Sony Xperia S. when i first disconnected my phone from my pc and tried to reconnect, then the MTP crap got error code 10. what i did was i opened that USB icon showing below in this picture. then I un-mounted my xperia (or it maybe called MTP USB Device or something else). Disconnected the usb cable from the phone and reconnected it back again, be aware that your phone must be connected with the USB cable while you're doing this and for best results, have Sony Companion on. i've notice though, sometimes before i fixed this problem, my phone wanted to install some other drivers than MTP USB Device, i don't remember what it was called. but it had something to do with sony ericsson. if you know what i'm talking about, then un-mount it as well. I hope this helps. BTW i'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. But it should work though.
2012-05-14 08:08 PM
I think i have found the easiest solution to this problem. The problem is that the MTP driver fails to install successfully when you updating the PC companion hence the problem in connecting in MTP mode. I had the same problem and this is what worked for me.
1. With your usb connect to your phone and computer go to control panel on your pc.
2. Select Device Manager and you will see that there is a question mark on your sony ericsson phone driver.
3. right click and uninstall the the driver
4. Unplug your phone from the computer and plug it in again then the drivers will install fine then you can now connect your pc to your phone and access all your files.
Get cruising people.........
2012-05-21 07:35 AM
Not sure if this helps... but after a Phone update today, win 7 is now able to detect the Xperia S as a device in Control Panel as well as the Sony PC companion. The update was performed using a downloaded copy of Sony PC companion from sony's website.
1. Install updated PC companion software from sony.co.uk support site.
2. Plug in phone (Windows will complain that MTP driver not installed successfully).
3. Click on Install PC Companion Software message on the Xperia S (if this option was ignored earlier, you can get the messagebox back by going to Settings->Xperia->Install PC Companion. Ensure that the checkbox is enabled, then unplug USB and reinsert USB.)
4. PC companion will now detect the phone and states that an updated Phone software is found (can't remember the version number)
5. Update the phone software/firmware.
6. Restart the phone and everything should now work.
Hope this helps.
2012-05-25 07:35 PM
I actually just solved this problem. Don't know if this will work for you. I have an Xperia Arc S
Try to go to Settings >Xperia> Connectivity> USB Connection Mode
Try to choose "Mass Storgae mode (MSC)" and click Install PC Companion box. Try to plugin your USB.
This worked for me. Hope this can help you too!