Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

How to root Xperia Play - even with a locked bootloader!

Rooting (or Jailbreaking if you're used to the iPhone) is pretty awesome - it enables you to use a whole bunch of apps that are previously offlimits (such as Titanium Backup - a piece of software that will back up all of your .apks. It also enables you to remove some of the built-in bloat that Sony stuffed onto the Xperia Play which frees up a bit more space for new apps (Who honestly needs the Chinese keyboard on their phone?!)

The classic way to root a phone is to first unlock the boatloader and then through that, install a version of your ROM that allows root access. However, although SE are providing a way to unlock the bootloader on a Play, this is not ideal because:

1. Unlocking the bootloader automatically invalidates your warranty
  2. When you have unlocked your bootloader, the software update function on your phone stops working as SE consider your phone to be "modified"
  3. Most phones are SIM-locked to a particular network and are therefore not even candidates to be bootloader unlocked

The solution is to root your phone without unlocking the bootloader. How? A new application called Gingerbreak does it all for you! Literally, all you need to do is download the Gingerbreak .apk, run it and enjoy your new rooted Play. I can confirm that it is 100% working and took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

You can download Gingerbreak from http://bit.ly/fnf6EN - root your phone and enable you to remove unwanted apps, back up the phone properly, overclock your phone to make it run faster, even change the region to a different country to access restricted services (this works on the market - could also work on the Sony PSN stores) and a whole bunch of really fun things without being excluded from any official Sony Services. Rooting without unlocking is also, to all intents and purposes, undetectable, so don't worry about losing your warranty or any nasty stuff like that!

Have fun!

Anonymous(anon)

Re: How to root Xperia Play - even with a locked bootloader!

It really works!

Anonymous(anon)

Do you need the phone software? example, the SE Android OS?

Anonymous(anon)

All done, mine is now rooted!

I had 39mb internal memory before root as I had loads of stuff installed, after rooting and installing the sd location tweak I now have 184mb free and ALL my apps are now on SD Card! The phone runs sooooo much faster now, booting, playing games, really is good!

Set CPU is superb too, I now have the phone idling at 120mhz instead of 233mhz making the battery last longer on standby, Root explorer for seeing all your files, titanium backup to backup all your app save data, list goes on and on!

Thanks for posting this thread and making me a VERY happy Play owner! :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

What was the 'sd location tweak' - was it something like app2sd, or app2ext?

Anonymous(anon)

Titanium backup allows you to move apps to SD, I prefer it really since not everything will like being on SD and could break, with Titanium you can choose what to move and even uninstall system stuff (bloatware) to free memory aswell as backup all your programs.

Anonymous(anon)

Oh right - I see what you mean now.... I thought you'd figured out some automagic way to run apps2ext without a custom ROM :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

It's called "Set Install Location" from the market, run it once, choose the default place you want to save (SD Card), now ALL apps can be moved and automatically installed to the SD card, all apps work perfectly! anything already installed can be moved to SD including systems apps! :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Do you have a link?

The closest I could find is this: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jrummy.froyo.apps2sd

Don't waste your time purchasing that one! :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)