Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

64GB microSDXC compatibility

Hi, before I purchase a SanDisc 64GB microSDXC card, I need to confirm that it's fully compatible with the Xperia Play, since it apparently has an SDHC slot.

According to a post at xda-developers, the user claims it works.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1389359

Has anybody else tried a 64GB card in their X-Play?

Thanks

Trustee
Markus

Re: 64GB microSDXC compatibility

For all I know our phones support SD (and SDHC) cards up to 32GB. Don't think 64GB will work to be honest. It might work to some extent but there could be reading issues and you might not be able to use all the 64GB etc.

If you have a look on page 6 this the phone's white paper you'll see that 32GB is set as limit meaning we cannot guarantee a 64GB card will work.

http://dl-www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/922/665/1315211069/PLAY_WP_8.pdf

If you give it a try anyway - please let me know how it goes. I'm a bit curious. :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Markus, thanks for the link. I'm aware of the SDHC limitations but I'm curious whether it will work too, since some users over at xda claim it works. I took a chance an ordered a 64GB SanDisk from Amazon yesterday. It should be delivered before Christmas. I'll attempt to copy the data from my 32GB card and then fill the rest with music to test.

I hope it works, it was £88. I'll put the 32GB card into my 32GB Cowon J3 if it does.

I'll post my results when I've filled it up.

Trustee
Markus

Thanks, I'm looking forward to your next post. :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

The card was delivered yesterday. So far it's looking promising! Liking the bicolour Red/Grey scheme, makes it a bit easier to find if, like me, you’ve had one eject across a busy pub o.0 lil blighter.. ping, gone! Didn’t even see it go. Found it an hour later.

Anyhoo..Quick guide:

• Unmount current card and remove > Insert new 64GB card > Select Erase > Confirm dialogues > Remove card and insert into card reader > Copy the data from old card to new.

I found if you try to format the card with Windows, it insists on formatting it to exFAT, which the phone wont read. I personally use two USB card readers and DriveImage XML.

The phone accepts the card and reads music from it. I haven’t yet had time to copy all the data, it takes hours! I’ll update this again when I’m finished, with screenshots of the card stats.

Here’s hoping all’s good with it!

Anonymous(anon)

Good news good people of SE Land. As suggested by the OP of the xda thread I linked in my first post, I can confirm 64GB cards work fine with Xperia Play. No guarantees for other models, or brands.. you take a chance. Currently my new card is happily chugging away with, as yet, no problems at all. I've got around 18.7ish GB remaining.  Here's a link to a screenshot:  http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/LABRADIO/screenshot_2011-12-24_1010.png  Ignore the fact the internal storage is nearly at full capacity, I just got root this morning so a bit of a cleanup is needed.   Gotta say.. my phone feels rather roomy again! •Stretches out•   -Zetan

Master
slimshaddy

great :smileywink:

Trustee
Markus

Nice! I guess there will have to be some internal testing to get this officially confirmed though but I appreciate you posting this so others can go for it too if they wish to do so. :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Indeed. While it's been working fine with my phone all over Christmas, downloading games, transfering music and vids.  etc, I wouldn't want people to just go buying out of spec cards and find that it doesn't work for some reason like different carrier models, country or plain luck. It would be nice to get official confirmation.  ... In the meantime, bring on the 128GBs!

One time poster
tezlewis1988

I'm glad it works, i will be buying one for my play when i get it back from been fixed.

i miss it loads!