Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
predatorzzz

Xperia P GPS Problems

Hi I have the following problem with my Xperia P's GPS. Very very often when I turn it on it takes a lot of time for the GPs to get a Fix around 7-8 minutes, until the it uses network cells for positionning but that's hugely inaccurate. So in oreder to see what is the GPS strength I installed an app caled GPS Essentials which shows how many Sattelites are visble for the device and how many it actually uses. So most frequently there are 7-9 sats visible but the GPS uses only uses 4 for its Fix. Now that may be normal but the accuracy radius shown in Google Maps is around 30-40 m. That may not sound so bad but its enough to show that i am on another street. Also when i drive or walk etc. i lose gps signal very frequently. Other Details: I have checked  all the GPS options in settings menu, I am runnning ICS 6.1.B.0. 544 and I have restored factory settings than chose to repair it through Sony PCC but the problem persists. I was wondering is anyone having a simular problem and can anyone suggest a solution. (phone not rooted, located in Bulgaria)

Trustee
Petter

Re: Xperia P GPS Problems

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum! :smileyhappy:

Sounds like it would be wise to try performing a repair of your phone's software.

You can easily perform the interaction with our program Sony PC Companion, available for download from the link below.

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/

What do you think about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

One time poster
predatorzzz

Hi, I tried to repair the phone through PCC but with no satisfactory result.

Today is pretty sunny and the first time I could not get a fix outside, the socond time I got a fix after 3 minutes. In comparison my Nokia N82 got a fi in less than a minute and it even manges to get a fix in a room. Even after I got a fix the acuray was unsatisfactory - 45 meters, enough to show me the wrong street. Now I have read through the forum and I see that it is pretty much a common problem. I am located in Bulgaria and I have bought the phone from a Bulgarian carrier (MTEL) my compilation is 6.1.B.0.544 ( Iknow that there is a newer one 6.1.1.B.1.54 but I am not willing to update since there is a problem with darker pictures, plus it seems that people with the atest compilation are still eperining problems.

I have read somewhere that the first time it may tkae up to 45 min to get a fix which is simply riduculous and as i said sometimes I get a signal under 5 min with poor quality, sometimes I don't get a signal at all.

I tired te get into gps system configartions through dialing *#*#735566*#*#(or something like this) but the only thing that happened is that the phone tried to show the demo video of the phone which I have deleted.

After all this I want to ask is there a solution to this problem in 6.1.B.0.544?

Is there a solution in 6.1.1.B.1.54?

Are there any other suggestions on how to solve the problem, rooting the phone or something else?

I am sry for the long post but I am really annoyed since it is a new phone and a key feature is not working porperly. I hope that the Jelly Bean update will be free of bugs

One time poster
predatorzzz

I also perfomed a GPS test through the service menu, but with no result

One time poster
wfriesen

Hi,

I've the same problem (Austria A1 - network). The handset was 2 times in service but the problem persists. I tested something and when I remove the SIM card and I activate WLAN the handset find the GPS position faster (up to 5min). After inserting the SIM card it takes a very long time to find the GPS position and generally the position is very inaccurate (20 - 40 meters - App "GPS Status" and Google maps). The X10 and the Arc S have an accurateness from under 10 meters!!

But I think, when I've a "Smartphone" with AGPS it should take under 1min to find the correct position. The old X10 and Arc S find the GPS position under 10sec. The software version is 6.1.B.0.544 and no newer is available here in Austria - slow software rollout from Sony!

GPS is unusable with this phone. I bought this phone for GPS tracking my runs but I can't use it - sorry but Sony fails with this handset!

joseflupac

Hello,

I have contributed to this topic http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/433389#433389 about the GPS issue.

I can find 20+ satelites but the fix is impossible. I tried it even with Wifi on, mobile data on and I ticked the permissions about using this sources to show my location at phone settings. I have re-downloaded the AGPS, tried various applications and also the sony testing stuff with dialing the code but no results at all.

I am really frustrated and I dont know what to do. I dont believe that visiting repair centre will help because they will just reinstall the software. I can do this at home on my own and it will be useless becuase I believe we need update on the buggy .54.

One time poster
predatorzzz

I installed the latest update .54 but the gps is still working awfully. Yesterday was a very sunny day and it took 7 minutes to get a gps fix and when it got the accuracy was pretty bad 30-40 meters.

By the way I used it to track my bicycle ride and it was showing that I was riding 200meters from the actual road I was riding. I hope that the Jelly Bean update will improve gps performance otherwise I would have to change the phone, possibly the brand.

One time poster
wfriesen

It's not a good idea from Sony to sell phones with a cheap/bad processor for a high price. If you sell a product you should test it before selling it (all functions of the phone).

If there is no improvement in GPS performance I'll sell my phone and buy an other brand like HTC or Samsung - no Sony anymore!

Thanks for your feedback on version .54 - but when the JB update will come - maybe next year or never - I think never - Sony cancel the product support and say this product is and of live and no updates any more - I saw this on the Arc S and this was/is a very good phone.

One time poster
Z1dominic

Gps locator is absolutely rubbish. On Google maps and other apps. I have the Z1. What is going on Sony. Along with the headphone and other issues I would certainly not be recommending Sony to anyone.