2012-10-11 07:00 PM
We have an extended guide that should help you fix the pattern lock issue on your phone, please follow the instructions carefully:
Visit this link:
Click on Download PC companion
Run the software
Turn the phone off and disconnect it from the computer
1. Disregard any instructions to connect the phone until you complete step 9
2. In the welcome screen you will see the different modules available for you including the "support zone" option. Click on "Start" below it.
3. On the next page Click on "Start" under "Phone/Tablet Software update"
At this point if you get an error stating that "unable to install update components" or "server is bussy" Please proceed to step 12. If you not see that error then continue with step 4.
4. The program will show a window saying "Could not find phone/tablet". Click on the option below that reads: "Repair my phone/tablet" the program will issue you a warning on the content that you will lose during the update
5. Choose the option to continue.
6. The program will issue a final message warning you of possible data lost during the update. Click on the checkmark and then on "Next/Continue".
7. After that, the program will download the necessary information (5 to 6 minutes) and it will present you with a list of phones.
8. Choose the Phone from the list then click on "next" then you will see a new section telling you how to connect the phone. (don't connect it yet)
At this point the phone must be off and disconnected from the PC.
9. Connect the cable to the PC not to the phone, then wile pressing and holding the indicated button (in the steps on screen an specific button will be shown for you to press on the phone) connect the cable to the phone and keep holding the indicated button until the program says "the update of your phone has started..." (in some cases a message of "Installing drivers" will appear before the message of "the update of your phone has started..." is shown.)
10. If you failed to follow the steps correctly the phone will turn on and it will request that you "Proceed with the following steps, slide down the notification bar", If this happens disconnect the phone from the cable, turn it off and repeat from step 9).
11. If the phone is connected properly, PC Companion will proceed with the update ( It will tell you to let go of the back key) then wait for the update to finish and follow instructions on screen to disconnect the unit.
12. If "unable to install update components"
1. Close Pc companion
2. Install Java from: http://www.java.com
3. start Pc companion again and try to do the software unlock process once more.
Note: If you wish only to update the unit wait for the program to open and then select the quick link on the uper left corner that says "Update Phone/Tablet" and follow the instructions to perform the update. (the PC may request for the phone to be placed in Mass Storage mode. Do this by going into Settings>Xperia>Connectivity>USB connection mode)
Some computers may block the installation of the update service, if this happens use this:
http://www.sonymobile.com/us/tools/update-service/ this is the Standalone update software.
If the Phone is unresponsive (Then do this extra step and when done proceed to redo the repair process:
Press and hold the power button and the volume up button at the same time for 10 to 15 seconds. This will reset the unit)
Bridge For Mac instructions on my post bellow.
Note: This procedure does not work for the Xperia Play R800x (Verizon and other Non SIM card variants of the Xperia play that lack MTP support. It does work for the R800a At&t's model)
Solved! Go to Solution.
2012-11-01 04:11 PM
Here are the basic Steps for Bridge for MAC.
Download Bridge for MAC from:
The phone should not be connected to the MAC.
The phone should be off.
After the Download unzip the file and drag the bridge for MAC icon to the Applications folder. (install then use finder to locate icon)
In the Main "No phone connected" window, on the top menu (top application menu) Select "Phone" and scroll down to "Repair phone"
This will open the Phone Software Restore window with the 3 sections for Start, Prepare and Update.
Click on continue bellow. Doing so will popup a window warning you about the loss of your personal info. Click on the checkmark signaling that you understand the data loss situation,
This will take you to the Connection Procedure Screen.
Follow the instructions in the screen and click on continue*.
*One key aspect of the last step to keep holding the indicated button before and after you connect the phone to the MAC until the update starts. IF this is not done correctly then the phone won't connect to the MAC
2013-08-30 08:56 PM
I have followed the steps above but....... Found new hardware comes up but does not find the drivers!!!! startign to lose it with this phone and opionion of SONY is not good!
2013-08-31 02:50 PM
the method of repair which u hav provided above will only repair my current firmware or it will update my phone to the latest firmware.
mobile: sony xperia u firmware:6.0.B.3.188 android 2.3.7
i dont want to go to ics as xperia u lags a lot.
2013-09-17 09:24 AM
hello..what heppent on my camere after update latest versioan, my back camera is very bad. picture blur...
UPDATE VIA PC
2013-10-01 03:38 PM
I have been using xperia ray for about more than one year.
Today i want to update the software from GB (2.3.4) to ICS.
During the time of update(PC companion), when computer installing software to mobile, it shows "installation failed".
After that i alos try Sony update service but got same message.
Now i can not power on my mobile. If i connect charger, then nothing happens. But if connect to the computer then only Green led light.
Note: I tries to Hard reset by pressing Power+volume down key but nothing happen. Then press power+volume up key then Blue led light.
I also try your method but during software installation, shows the message: " An error has occured and the phone/tablet software update was aborted.
Plz help me
2013-10-03 03:29 PM
Thank you very much for the info share. It worked for me. it realy saved my time and money. I thought of going to sony service center to repair it. by following mentioned steps my cell working perfectly fine.
Thanx a lot once again
2013-11-14 06:38 PM
This doesnt work for me. The phone refuses to do anything when plugged in. I have had it taken to a sony repair shop and they want to charge me over $200 to fix it.
Now, between Gmail (who broke the phone), and Sony (who does not allow you to boot into factory reset), who is going to take responsibility for wrecking my phone?