Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Trustee
Francis
Accepted Solution

Detailed Software Repair Instructions using Pc Companion(Win)or Bridge for MAC. (Update 8/5/2014)

[ Edited ]

We have an extended guide that should help you repair the system of your phone. This instructions are valid for all Android based units and for some legacy Sony Ericsson models(The list of phones that can be used with the application is displayed in Step 9 of the process). please follow the instructions carefully:

Turn the phone off and disconnect it from the computer. 

1. Visit this link:

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/tools/pc-companion/

Click on Download PC companion

2.Run the software

After the installation the first screen will show you the PC Companion Startup Guide which gives you a brief explanation on the main modules of PC companion (Support Zone, Xperia Transfer, Contact setup and Media Go) Keep clicking next.

3.Now you will see the screen with the different modules.

Select Support Zone> Click Start.  The program will download the module.

Then click on start on Phone/Tablet Software update. (Here you can choose to update an accessory, go to step 14 for instructions)

Note: At this point if you get an error stating that "unable to install update components" or "server is busy" Please proceed to step 13 . If you not see that error then continue with step 4.

4. The program will show a window saying "could not find phone/Tablet” Do not Connect phone instead select Repair my phone/tablet. This will bring you to a window with a warning that says "data will be lost" (do you want to continue) Select to continue (Data in the phone will be deleted, only data in the SD card will remain. Make sure you have done all proper backups if possible)

6. The program will issue a second warning stating that “data saved in the phone /tablet will be overwritten during the update of your phone”. Click on the checkmark box next to the acceptance text and select Next to continue.

7. Next the computer will download the necessary files (Prepare stage, this can take several minutes depending on the speed of your connection) and then its done it will show you a list of recommendations for a successful update operation. When you are done reading this section click on the checkmark box and press Continue

8. Next you will get a Battery level warning that states that your phone should have at least 80% battery. (If the issue in the phone does not permit the unit from turning on, then charge it connected to the wall charger for at least 2 hours and then comeback to this step) Then click on the checkmark and select Next

9. Choose the Phone from the list then click on "next" then you will see a new section telling you how to connect the phone. (don't connect it yet) Again, at this point the phone must be off and disconnected from the PC.

10.. Connect the cable to the PC not to the phone, then while pressing and holding the indicated button (in the steps on screen an specific button will be shown for you to press on the phone) connect the cable to the phone and keep holding the indicated button until the program says "the update of your phone has started..." (in some cases a message of  "Installing drivers" will appear before the message of "the update of your phone has started..."  is shown.)

11. If you failed to follow the steps correctly the phone will turn on. If this happens disconnect the phone from the cable, turn it off and repeat from step 10).

12. If the phone is connected properly, PC Companion will proceed with the update ( It will tell you to let go of the key) then wait for the update to finish and follow instructions on screen to disconnect the unit.

End of process. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

If the software fails to install:

13. If "unable to install update components"

1. Close Pc companion

2. Install Java from: http://www.java.com

3. start Pc companion again and try to do the software unlock process once more.

14.Select Accessories software update. Click on start and the computer will download the necessary files (Prepare Stage) it will take several minutes. Then follow the instructions from step 8.

Note: Some computers may block the installation of the update service, if this happens use this:

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/tools/update-service/ this is the Standalone update software. (Not globally available)If the Phone is unresponsive (Then do this extra step and when done proceed to redo the repair process:

Press and hold the power button and the volume up button at the same time for 10 to 15 seconds. This will reset the unit)

Note: This procedure does not work for the Xperia Play R800x (Verizon and other Non SIM card variants of the Xperia play that lack MTP support.  It does work for the R800a At&t's model)

Bridge For Mac instructions on my post belowValid for all Android based units and most java Sony Ericsson units.

One time poster
guntitan

Re: Detailed Software Repair Instructions using Pc Companion.

Can we get a set of instructions for Sony Bridge for Mac? It looks very similar.

Trustee
Francis

Here are the basic Steps for Bridge for MAC.

Download Bridge for MAC from:

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/bridge-for-mac/

The phone should not be connected to the MAC.
The phone should be off.

After the Download unzip the file and drag the bridge for MAC icon to the Applications folder. (install then use finder to locate icon)

In the Main "No phone connected" window, on the top menu (top application menu) Select "Phone" and scroll down to "Repair phone"

This will open the Phone Software Restore window with the 3 sections for Start, Prepare and Update.
Click on continue bellow. Doing so will popup a window warning you about the loss of your personal info. Click on the checkmark signaling that you understand the data loss situation,
This will take you to the Connection Procedure Screen.

Follow the instructions in the screen and click on continue*.

*One key aspect of the last step to keep holding the indicated button before and after you connect the phone to the MAC until the update starts. IF this is not done correctly then the phone won't connect to the MAC

JJ-RenOlds

Re: Detailed Software Repair Instructions using Pc Companion(Windows)or Bridge for MAC.(Update 8/10/

I have followed the steps above but....... Found new hardware comes up but does not find the drivers!!!! startign to lose it with this phone and opionion of SONY is not good!

Regular
abhishek2194

Re: Detailed Software Repair Instructions using Pc Companion(Windows)or Bridge for MAC.(Update 8/10/

the method of repair which u hav provided above will only repair my current firmware or it will update my phone to the latest firmware.

mobile: sony xperia u      firmware:6.0.B.3.188        android 2.3.7

i dont want to go to ics as xperia u lags a lot.

cyberX

hello..what heppent on my camere after update latest versioan, my back camera is very bad. picture blur...

UPDATE VIA PC

MODEL LT28H

Advicer
Rubel

Dear Xperts,

My problem:
I have been using xperia ray for about more than one year.
Today i want to update the software from GB (2.3.4) to ICS.
During the time of update(PC companion), when computer installing software to mobile, it shows "installation failed".
After that i alos try Sony update service but got same message.
Now i can not power on my mobile. If i connect charger, then nothing happens. But if connect to the computer then only Green led light.

Note: I tries to Hard reset by pressing Power+volume down key but nothing happen. Then press power+volume up key then Blue led light.

---------

I also try your method but during software installation, shows the message: " An error has occured and the phone/tablet software update was aborted.

Plz help me

One time poster
basavarajrn

Thank you very much for the info share. It worked for me. it realy saved my time and money. I thought of going to sony service center to repair it. by following mentioned steps my cell working perfectly fine.

Thanx a lot once again :smileyhappy:

One time poster
s0ro05h

Can we repair UB phone with costum rom via PC componion?

Regular
daltz01

This doesnt work for me. The phone refuses to do anything when plugged in. I have had it taken to a sony repair shop and they want to charge me over $200 to fix it. 

Now, between Gmail (who broke the phone), and Sony (who does not allow you to boot into factory reset), who is going to take responsibility for wrecking my phone?