Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Regular
harre
Accepted Solution

Sony SBH-52

Dear Forum(reader),

I received my Sony SBH-52 last friday and i'm gonna use it with an iPhone 5 and iPad Mini (or other MAC devices) like i did with my Sony Smart Wireless Headset Pro which worked out fine not to say perfect.

This Sony SBH-52 device has the same features (except the sd-card function) and menu, if you ask me, so with knowing that i found out:

I can connect via bluetooth with one device (iphone) and one device only!

After this first (and only) connection, the menu does not show the possiblity to add another bluetooth connection with another device simply because the menu function doesn't show/provide it.

The SBH-52 has like the Smart Wireless Headset Pro also a Multipoint modus but it is not there?

Or it only possible to connect one device via Bluetooth and the second device with 'NFC' ?

I connected the Sony SBH-52 to a windows (7) computer and did a Sony Software update, my device had the latest software on it was the conclusion.

i cannot read which software is on the device so i have no reference to compare. (on the Smart Wireless Headset Pro i could read this back in the 'system info menu' )

If i want to connect to another device, e.g. iPad mini, the menu doesn't provide this, the only thing i can do is to do a factory reset which allows me to make this new connection.

The menu shows the following:

the radio menu is working fine, enough said

the music menu is shows the coupled device and the play or pause button, looks ok as well.

the settings menu and there is i think the problem shows only the possibilty to rotate the screen and the possiblity to reset to the factory settings.

In this menu it would be likely to read out the latest software verion, the possiblilty to add another device via bluetooth (not nfc, because this will work with only touching the device with an android phone) , to change the sceen brightness an the choice of language. (similar to the Sony Smart Wireless Headset Pro?)

So my questions are:

Is the device working properly and is it working as 'designed'?

And i'm connecting with the 'wrong' devices which let it seem that this device is showing shortage of capability but in fact it has to do with the connected non-Android devices? (maybe it works with one bluetooth coupling and one NFC coupling, i cannot test that because i don't have a NFC enabled device)

If not, will there be an software update to make almost the same functionality possible i suspected or better said what i except because i already used the Smart Wireless Headset Pro so that is my reference point of view?

Hoping to informed you enough i'm looking forward to see any response on this situation.

With kind regards,

Harre van der Maat

E-mail: harre@harre.nl

Phone: +31628026242

Community Manager
Johan

Re: Sony SBH-52

If you want to pair more than one device with the SBH-52 and the device doesn't support NFC try this.

1. Power off the headset

2. Press and hold the on/off key until you see the Bluetooth pairing icon (when you see the BT pairing icon release the on/off key)

3. Scan for the headset from your device

I think that you might have held the on/off key pressed for too long. Because if you keep holding the on/off key when the Bluetooth paring icon is shown it will give you the factory reset option.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

One time poster
ekhalil

Hi,

Does the SBH-52 work well with iPhone5? Does it work to accept, end and reject calls from the headset? Can you activate Siri (or name calling) in iPhone from the headset by pressing the headset accept button?

Thanks for the help in advance!

//Khalil

One time poster
harrevandermaat

Sony SBH-52; Status update after answer of Johan, the community manager

Johan,

Thanks for your quick reply, i tried your suggestion a luckily it DOES work, but...

i cannot imagine that this is thé working method as it is 'designed' for this device.

When i have one, and the only possible one, connection made with in the settings menu and then shutting off the device by pressing the on/off button.

Then i power it up with the same button and by holding the button a little bit longer, the screen shows a 'bleutooth icon' so you can connect the 2nd device, this works!

But it is not exactly a multiuser modus. I am then connected to this 2nd device and i am able to switch to the 1st device. Doing that not (quite often) always succeeds and once connected it can be used only once after that i have to do this sequence again. (the connection fails and 'connect devices ' disapear from the settings menu)

And because i have to switch myself to the other device i don't call that multiuser modus, this often doesn't work as well, the connection gets lost and all 2 connections cannot found back in the settings menu and i have to do the connection sequence once again.

The previous Smart Headset Wireless Pro had a multiuser modus which acted as following: you could set a device to 'primair', also possible with the SBH-52, the switching could be done via the menu (the SBH-52 does that also, but fails quite often) or if the 'primair' phone went off, the device will notifi you with sound a displaying the calling number so you can take the call on the device itself. i couldn't get this working the same way on the SBH-52, it loses one of the conncetions every time i try.

What i also found out is that is that the device is not able to connect (it even cannot be found when it is in discoverable modus) to a device when this device has an active connection. When i end this particular active connection then i can make a connection with the SBH-52.

So i would stay with my previous statements:

The device works as it is designed (bluetooth itself cannot be defect or 'broken', you only can have a compatibility issue/problem)

OR

A software update can change this all and will ensure that the device has the same (very good) user experience as the Smart headset Wireless Pro.

Again thanks for the reply, Johan

Harre van der Maat

Harre@Harre.nl

+31628026242

P.S. the question if SIRI works with this device and an iPhone, the answer is no.

You cannot 'wake' the iphone to do a redail or forcing a voice command or a SIRI command, it is only 'receiving' and 'acting' one way.

Regular
harre

Status after trying out your soultion; Sony SBH-52

Johan,

Thanks for your quick reply, i tried your suggestion a luckily it DOES work, but...

i cannot imagine that this is thé working method as it is 'designed' for this device.

When i have one, and the only possible one, connection made with in the settings menu and then shutting off the device by pressing the on/off button.

Then i power it up with the same button and by holding the button a little bit longer, the screen shows a 'bleutooth icon' so you can connect the 2nd device, this works!

But it is not exactly a multiuser modus. I am then connected to this 2nd device and i am able to switch to the 1st device. Doing that not (quite often) always succeeds and once connected it can be used only once after that i have to do this sequence again. (the connection fails and 'connect devices ' disapear from the settings menu)

And because i have to switch myself to the other device i don't call that multiuser modus, this often doesn't work as well, the connection gets lost and all 2 connections cannot found back in the settings menu and i have to do the connection sequence once again.

The previous Smart Headset Wireless Pro had a multiuser modus which acted as following: you could set a device to 'primair', also possible with the SBH-52, the switching could be done via the menu (the SBH-52 does that also, but fails quite often) or if the 'primair' phone went off, the device will notifi you with sound a displaying the calling number so you can take the call on the device itself. i couldn't get this working the same way on the SBH-52, it loses one of the conncetions every time i try.

What i also found out is that is that the device is not able to connect (it even cannot be found when it is in discoverable modus) to a device when this device has an active connection. When i end this particular active connection then i can make a connection with the SBH-52.

So i would stay with my previous statements:

The device works as it is designed (bluetooth itself cannot be defect or 'broken', you only can have a compatibility issue/problem)

OR

A software update can change this all and will ensure that the device has the same (very good) user experience as the Smart headset Wireless Pro.

Again thanks for the reply, Johan

Harre van der Maat

Harre@Harre.nl

+31628026242

P.S. the question if SIRI works with this device and an iPhone, the answer is no.

You cannot 'wake' the iphone to do a redail or forcing a voice command or a SIRI command, it is only 'receiving' and 'acting' one way.

One time poster
Krishiqua

Re: Status after trying out your soultion; Sony SBH-52

Goede morgen, Harre,

Check the somewhat cryptic settings on the accessory itself. On mine (with latest software update from 18/9), you can select between Multipoint and Singlepoint. It defaults to Singlepoint, so you'll need to change it. You should be able to have both iPhone and iPad connected at same time.

Haven't tried Siri yet.

I hope that helps. Fijn weekend alvast,

Christopher

Novice
code_blue

How many paired devices can the SBH52 remember?
Bruce-SG

[ Edited ]

Hi Harre

I hope you are happier now with your new purchase.

I hope you can share your experience particularly with the following use cases:

1. When you are having a phone conversation with SHB-52 and you receive a 2nd call (call waiting), do you hear a "beep" sound which interrupts your current conversation?

2. Same scenario, when talking on the phone, will the conversation be interrupted with "beeps" when you receive a new SMS?

Just wondering if SHB-52 has the same "beeping" problem with MW-1. (Smart Wireless Headset Pro)

Thanks in advance.

Regular
harre

Hi Bruce, 

i have the Smart Wireless Headset Pro and the SBH-52 and will test these with more calls at the same time.

I cannot recall that i had any problems with that, but the 'luck' to get 2 phonecalls together is rare for me, maybe because i use these accessoires for music/radio listening without the 'necessary' connection of a coupled phone

One time poster
kuzuner

Dear Bruce,

I have been using SBH52 for couple of days and yes it has a "beep" sound which interrupts your current conversation and makes you dont understand what is spoken.

I saw your message while i am searching a solution for this problem.