Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Trustee
Markus

Re: WT19 Live With Walkman Proximity Sensor Problem

OK, thanks for the info.

Let me know how the new phone is working when you get it back.

Anonymous(anon)

I have changed my phone with a Neo V and everything looks fine for now. Thanks for your concern...

Anonymous(anon)

4om Russia.

Same problem with proximity sensor. I'd like my wt19i, but this bug is drive me crazy. I have no screen protectors. Like i understand SE support can't "hear us". Problem exist! Solving not! =) Maybe i need to buy something else than SE, great decision to fix it?!

I think it's not so hard to create option hide this sensor buttons at all.

Anonymous(anon)

Like Fox Mulder from X-Files I still want to believe....this can be fixed via SW update which calibrates the proximity sensor to be much more sensitive since this is probably a SW issue rather then HW...

At least the easiest way how to fix this is to change the skin for making calls to the default one from the other SE phones....for ex. xperia Ray and probably all other xperia series have all functional buttons situated at the bottom of the screen so it's hard to push them with your ear or face when calling....

However, still this would be only a workaround and the real fix must go from SE itself!

Anonymous(anon)

So, here's my update - yesterday they told me my phone was repaired....I went to the shop and rather tested it immediately...and unfortunately it did the same (tested via service menu tests) so I left it to be repaired again :smileyangry:.

In the documentation from SE technician was written it was caused by a HW issue on the front-side cover and they had to replace it. However it seems it's a common issue for all series of this model....

I wonder if the 2nd attempt will be ok...

Anonymous(anon)

Hi guys,

I have a very positive feedback for you! As I wrote earlier, at first SE repair-service replaced the whole front-side cover but the proximity sensor worked incorrectly in the same was as it did before the replacement.

Now I got my phone back ant SE-technician wrote into the repair-report that the problem was caused by HW-defect of the phone mainboard. So, I got back completely a new phone (it should have been replaced only with the new mainboard but I can see a new display cover and it seems the only thing from my previous phone is the back-side cover).

But what is important, the proximity sensor works perfectly now !!! I've tested it in SE service menu and via real made calls and the screen goes off somewhere between 4 cm from your ear or skin as it is common for proximity sensor-equipped phones. So, it might be a new series of produced WT19s....subjectively it seems to me the phone is working faster as well even if the android-version is still the same as it was....

So, don't fall into despair and let SE service centers repair your WT19 again if the first attempt wasn't successful...at least my case has proved there are existing WT19s phones with correctly working proximity sensor as expected....

Now I'm very satisfied and have no need to replace this android-walkman with a different model....

Trustee
Markus

Great feedback! :smileyhappy: I very happy to hear this.

Thanks a lot for posting this for others to see.

I hope you will never have to contact a service center again. :smileyhappy:

One time poster
teco

Good try, but it is not going to work, on mine it does mute the mic as it ends the call, note that the end call widget is at the bottom. Any part of your face can trigger a widget not only the ear. That's too bad , this phone it's got so many good features , bud he is bad on being a phone (Ericsson's part of the design?).

One time poster
teco

I have this same problem on mine, my unit is built in Brazil, seems that the bad parts (proximity sensors) are traveling all around the manufacturing sites in the world, your report is very helpfull, I was wondering how many defective units there are all over, I think they are still to show up. In my case , I was thinking that the problems were caused by the Telecom operator, it took me about three days with the new phone, to realize it was a faulty phone. I 'm returning mine to the store and asking for a refund, I don't want to take the chance for a replacement , and possibly get another bad unit.

One time poster
teco

Made the test here, using the service's menu test, it runs exactly like yours, moving the phone to the sides by few milimeters, while still touching the ear, will cause the status (bip test) to go on and off. I think this is all is needed for SE start working to correct this big bug.