Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

WT19 Live With Walkman Proximity Sensor Problem

Hi there;

I've just bought a LvW and having a little problem when talking. My ear touches the screen and handsfree or microphone off shortcuts work without my action. Is there any way to change shortcuts' place or set the proximity sensor more sensitive?

Anonymous(anon)

Re: WT19 Live With Walkman Proximity Sensor Problem

Hi,

I've bought this phone to my girlfriend and she's got EXACTLY the same problem - proximity sensor doesn't work correctly, sometimes it doesn't turn off the screen and by this mistake she enables/disables microphone or speaker....it's very annoying and now I'm not sure whether this is problem or "feature" of this phone :-(

Compared to my Palm Pre2 or HTC Wildfire the sensitivity of sensor on WT19 is very low...both pre2 and HTC are turning off their screen whenever put my hand/ear to the distance of about <2cm...WT19 does it at best with <0,5 cm but often it remains on...

Hope this is a SW problem and will be fixed with some update in future...

Anonymous(anon)

Try to keep the screen away from the skin, only speaker next to ear until better solution is found.
This phone has proximity sensor, that only detects far/close, it cannot be edited.

Anonymous(anon)

Well, this is the only thing I can do at the moment but it's not a solution...but only desparate workaround and very anoying in addition! :smileysad:

However, should I understand this is a "feature", not a problem of my bought piece??? Maybe there's some bad series with worse proximity sensor....

I've tried testing of proximity sensor via service menu (*#*#7378423#*#*) and it proved its bad functionality....it beeps once when it's ON and then it beeps twice when it goes OFF...

I put WT19i close to my ear and when I'm moving the phone in the moment of touching my ear it beeps 1x/2x randomly all the time....no stable state available...u can't do any small move when you have the phone in touch with your ear since it randomly enables and disables the screen (or beeps 1x/2x in testing mode).

This makes calls very uncomfortable...the corner touch buttons on the screen are often pushed by mistake which turns off the microphone (the other side can't hear anything then) or turns on the speaker (and everybody hears everything you're talkin' about....).

So, my question again - is this a HW or SW issue...can this be fixed via some SW update or I should complain about this issue and give my phone back to seller?

I guess the easiest fix would be a different "phone skin" for making calls...if those corner buttons for microphone and speaker were situated somwhere at the bottom of the screen they wouldn't be accessible for accidental touch by your ear....maybe someone could do this at XDA dev or similar community...

Anonymous(anon)

Take it back to the shop, where you bought it from. It should be repaired, because you bought it like this.

Also, you might try out AndroSensor app from Market. It's free and check, what result is given by proximity sensor. It should show 0.0cm/1.0cm. If it is 0.0cm, screen should go off, 1.0cm screen should be on.

Anonymous(anon)

Thx for your attemt to help....

I've just tried Androsensor and it shows 0/1,0 cm...so it seems to be ok measured by this app...BUT test of proximity switch via service menu (*#*#7378423#*#*) still remains the same...when I put the phone in touch with my ear and move a few milimeters (still in touch of my ear) into different position, it's beeping 1x/2x and again it proves the proximity sensor works bad...

Compared to my other 2 smartphones it should work at least under 1cm all the time (screen should be off) but WT19i randomly turns the screen on and off again...as I said this make calling very difficult and this behaviour is not acceptable!

Am I right you and other WT19 owner haven't encountered those issues or at least your experiences with WT19's proximity sensor are not so bad?

Under contemporary conditions the phone is useless and I'm prepared to give it back to seller to repair it :-(

Anonymous(anon)

FYI - Androsensor is probably not an ideal app to test your proximity sensor...I've just tried it with SE Xperia Ray (friend's phone) and it shows also 0/1,0cm but screen is going to off mode between 0-2,0cm and works absolutely correctly - I don't have to leave my phone physically in touch with my ear (I can leave it without touching my ear in distance <2cm and screen is still off) and it's very stable...no accidental turning on/off of the screen...

This experience also proves the WT19's proximity sensor doesn't work correctly...hope this won't be "a feature" of all already produced series...

Anonymous(anon)

Hi there;

I have already tested with AndroSensor programme and the service menu and with those test programs, my sensor works perfectly. But when i call somebody, the sensor works only when the phone is in vertical position. In other words, the sensor doesn't work when the phone is in my hand horizontally and sometimes next to my ear, too.

Tomorrow i will go to the store to change it with Neo V i think. I hope that phone's sensor doesn't work like this.

Trustee
Markus

Those of you with this problem, do you have any screen protectors attached? If these are covering the sensor just the slightest this will create the problem you are describing.

Anonymous(anon)

NO, I have no screen protector....I've already put my phone back to seller to repair it so no I'm awaiting the feedback from customer service... as I said I've tried completely all possible "actions and moves" with SE Xperia Ray incl. the service menu and all worked excellent...

So I hope this issue was only with my particular piece...and it's not related to the whole series....otherwise I'd have to move to another product line :smileyconfused: