Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Re: Is sony Ericsson W8 upgrade to android 2.3/2.2

check the above links to install a Custom ROM

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

I bought my w8 two weeks ago. Am totally disappointed with it. Did atleast a dozen times reset .  . .  Planning to dumb it and go for another product. But I never SE again in life. Lost all the faith of using for last 5 years with w810 . .

Anonymous(anon)

1st Root Ur W8 handset with SuperOne Click,,,And now Just Download XRecovery RAR File From net, Extract All File from Rar File To Ur Desktop Or in Any new folder,,,And make A new Folder in ur SD Card Name it Xrecovery,,,,,,Now Copy busybox, Chargemon & xrecovery.rar,,,,Frm the Extracted folder to the Xrecovery folder in ur SD Card,,,,,,,Now Insert the SD Card in ur W8 handset And Open Root Explorer,,,Now goto the Xrecovery Folder on ur SD Card Select all file in it thn copy And now go Back and go to System/.bin And Paste all the files thr which U copied frm Xrecovery folder In ur Sd card

.....Now Power off ur Phone for 1 Minute After A min Start ur PC And Rapidly Hit BACK key on Ur handset

Anonymous(anon)

SAME HERE... PLS SOMEONE... ADVICE!!

Anonymous(anon)

Sukriti Chawla plz Do all this Wht Mentioned Above....Thn Download CyanogenMod 7.1 Or GingerElite Rom ....Frm Net...And Copy The Zip file (CyanogenMod 7.1 Or GingerElite Rom) to Ur SD Card....Thn Boot ur Phone to Xrecovery (Procedure Mentioned Above) And Format The Phone Memory With System And OS (Create A Back Up 1st),,,,Thn Again restart Ur Phn And Again Boot into Xrecovery (Procedure Mentioned Above)....And Move to Boot From Zip File In SD Card Option on Ur Screen (The Keys Are: Volume Up = Up, Volume Down = Down, Back To Go = Back, Home = Select.) And Hit Home Keys Wait For 10 Mints And In this 10 Mins Plz Do nothing On Ur Phone Let it Complete Its 10 Mins......After 10 MINS ur Phn will restart And 1at Boot Will take A Bit of tym.....Thn Go to Settings/About Phone/And Check the Android Version It Will Be upgraded Frm 2.1 to 2.3............

Anonymous(anon)

but... devil_never_cries...

r u sure this process wont harm my phone???

i donot want any crap things to happen to it... already it so bad...

Commissioner
ShinOrochiX

I have X8 with GingerDX-GingerDX is one of the most popular/best ROMS out there for the X8/W8. It does not require to unlock your bootloader (unlocking your bootloader can hard brick your phone-so its dead). Basically to install you need to root the phone and install xrecovery as Devil_Never_Cries said then all you need to do is put the downloaded ROM onto your SD card and then flash it (install it) via xrecovery (boot into xrecovery).

Here is the link to the XDA page for GingerDX.

I use GingerDX and it works superb. I was once also in your position and decided to take the route with less risks by leaving my bootloader and installing GingerDX the easier (my opinion) way. CyanogenMod requires you to unlock your bootloader-this is the let down.

Smartphones:

Xperia X10 mini pro, Xperia X8, Xperia Live with Walkman, Xperia L & Xperia SP
Anonymous(anon)

shinorochix : r u sure it will work on w8 also??

if yes, i will surely try it and get back to u.

and.. i have heard that rooting your phone can destroy some softwares like fm/camera etc.... is it true?

Commissioner
ShinOrochiX

It should work on the W8 because the X8/W8 are the same phone-the only differences are:

i) W8-Walkman brand, X8-Xperia brand.

ii) W8-Walkman music player, X8-Xperia music player.

I can only think of these as of now.

Anything that works on the X8 should work on the W8-I done some research and found the people do use GingerDX on the W8.

Rooting does not destroy anything as long as it is done correctly-when you root a phone all that happens is an exploit that allows admin control over the phone, so you can delete system apps etc...

Smartphones:

Xperia X10 mini pro, Xperia X8, Xperia Live with Walkman, Xperia L & Xperia SP
Anonymous(anon)

ok thank u... i shall surely try this...