Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Inactive Sim Card, w518a

When I first got my w518a it started telling me I had an inactive sim card.  I got a hold of AT&T and they told me to go to a store and get a new sim card because it sounded like mine was old and failing.

So I got the new sim card, and in the past few days my phone has started beeping with the "inactive sim card" message.  Surely this new sim card can't be going bad already?  Is this a common problem with the w518a?

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Inactive Sim Card, w518a

I have the same problem with my w518a and was told by Sony Ericson to get a new SIM card from AT&T. AT&T want to charge $25 for the card but would not guarantee it would fix the problem. AT&T is pointing the finger at Sony Ericsson and Sony Ericsson is pointing the finger at AT&T. Both companies suck because they don't care about the customer.

I suspect the problem is weak contacts in the phone and when the phone is flexed a little while it is in my pocket the phone contacts are bent away from the SIM card causing it to lose contact and report the invalid error of Inactive SIM Card. In some cases it could also be dirty contacts caused by pocket lint but I have checked to make sure the contacts are clean.

Another thing that annoys me with the w518a is when texting I can't press the caps key (a/A) until after the phone has accepted the previous key stroke. While entering text, one letter after another (so long as it is not on the same key) no problem but with the caps key, no way, I have to wait for the previous key to timeout. Why would you make a phone like that? I guess that is just Sony Ericsson crap for you :-(

Only another 18 months and I can switch phones and phone companies :-)

Anonymous(anon)

If your phone is locked to a specific network provider you will have a message like that, rarely it is also a failure of the phone and 70% can be fixed with software customization.

Anonymous(anon)

So how do you fix inactive sim card with software customization?

Anonymous(anon)

Only service centers can do it (they use EMMA software) they are also a lot of unauthorized shops can unlock the phones, but I don't recommend because with this way you will lose your warranty.

Anonymous(anon)

I have seen EMMA software which can change many parameters but only the parameters that the phone manufacturer allows access to. EMMA will not allow access to the timing for the clock and data line to the SIM card, this would require a firmware change. What would be the point in changing any software parameters when the problem boils down to poor contacts between the SIM Card and the phone?

Also, why would Sony Ericsson tell me to buy a new SIM card if there were parameters that could be changed to fix the problem?

Anonymous(anon)

First : what EMMA can do?  When a phone goes out to market for example, k750i vodaphone can have different software from a k750i. What this means?  Maybe (it depend from what provide tells)

it can accept only sims from vodaphone(that it's called locked phone to a specific provider) So service centers with Emma can run the /z process (in new models it called customize) put the unlocked version and activate the phone again.

"What would be the point in changing any software parameters when the problem boils down to poor contacts between the SIM Card and the phone?" Yes of cource, but then the error message will be "insert Sim card"

"Also, why would Sony Ericsson tell me to buy a new SIM card if there were parameters that could be changed to fix the problem?"

Because the customer care call- line they cannot know from the phone where is the problem, and it is the first move when you do fault finding to change your Sim.

So did you check it with other sim?

Anonymous(anon)

As I said, EMMA can change many parameters but only the parameters that the phone manufacturer allows access to. So why did you mention EMMA, it has no relevance to the problem I am having with the SIM card? Did you just want to go off on a tangent and waste my time?

What makes you think it would only display an insert SIM error? With poor contacts the data can be corrupted either by the data line or the clock line, even the power, ground or reset can bounce up and down. Who knows how the phone or SIM card is going to behave with corrupted data?

Yes, I did replace the SIM, that is how I know AT&T charge $25 for a SIM card. It is better for Sony Ericsson to blame AT&T or the SIM card than for them to acknowledge they made a crap product, or more likely, crap products. Sony Ericsson are just like most other corporations, they are not prepared to admit they have a problem which will cost them some money to fix so they blame the operator, the phone carrier, the SIM card, but it never their fault.

I don't know why you keep responding to my posts. It is obvious you don't know jack shit. As you seem to know absolutely nothing about what you are talking about I suspect you work for Sony Ericsson.

Anonymous(anon)

I was trying to help you It seems you don't want any help from anybody, (I am not working now I was working )

"What makes you think it would only display an insert SIM error?" five years of experience in Sony Ericsson service team level 4.

If you changed your Sim and you still have the problem and your phone isn't locked certainly your phone has the problem go to authorized service center maybe they can fix it only with customize.

Anonymous(anon)

I am sorry you lost your job. Was it one of the many Sony Ericsson restructures where jobs is shipped off to a low cost center somewhere?

You should know better than me then that if I send my phone in for repair it will be left on a shelf for three weeks, plugged in by a tech in a sweatshop somewhere that has a quota for the number of phones to fix in a day and returned to me with a tag saying "no fault found". I get to pay for shipping and the inconvenience of being without a phone for a month. No thanks, I am better off waiting for 18 months until my contract is up with AT&T and switch to another worthless phone carrier! This is what companies like Sony Ericsson rely on.