Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
ammdispose

Re: Google Sky Map/SatelliteAR/Space Junk apps shows West as East (East also as East)

One more thing Johan.

Please try these apps and not the compass app.

1) Google Sky Map

2) SatelliteAR (yes no space in between)

3) Space junk.

These are the apps which exhibit the error.

Thanks

Community Manager
Johan

Re: Google Sky Map/SatelliteAR/Space Junk apps shows West as East (East also as East)

I did the tests using matching hardware and software, so don't worry about that.

What I find strange is that, if the compass in the phone shows all directions correct how can the app's show them wrong? Isn't these app's based on the phone's internal compass to show directions?

So if the internal compass shows all the directions correct but not the app is there a phone problem or a app problem? Is the app encoded correctly according to this phones internal compass?

There's a lot of questions to this that comes to my mind so I sent some info about this to a developer colleague of mine, to see what his thought about this is.

I will do some further testing and I'll get back to you as soon as I have any news.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

One time poster
ammdispose

Hi Johan,

Few things please.

1) The first app is a Google App. Which means, its a very popular app otherwise Google would not be developing such app. And when its developed by Google, it is very unlikely that such a bug would be there in app as otherwise there wud be too many people complaining and Google wud correct it quickly.

2) Have u tried the apps I mentioned, in your LWW (not just compass app)? If yes, did it show all the directions correct? If yes, then its definitely problem in my phone (but then I already got motherboard changed). If no, then its most likely problem with all LWW developed.

3) All 3 apps your telephone support guy installed on Xperia PLAY and they ALL WORKED fine. So that clearly means its not application bug but this particular phone (LWW) related bug.

4) Compass app is a 2D app.. that is, it uses just 2 directions X and Y. Space related app are 3D apps, which not only use COMPASS but possibly also use accelerometer as well. So that explains why compass shows direction correct and not the 3D apps.

Hope I am helping you as well in understanding just like you are trying to help me.

I am really glad and appreciate that you are taking interest and answering quickly (which till now I didnt get). Please do follow up with whoever is concerned person and get it resolved.

Thanks

Community Manager
Johan

I've been running some more tests and I can clearly see that problems appears using the app's. But the problem I run into is not the same as yours, even though I think they are somehow related to each other. Google Sky shows me that all directions are east, no matter in which direction I point.

So I thought, is this problem only related to LWW. But I get the same kind of problem with an Xperia pro as well.

Then I found this.

http://groups.google.com/group/google-sky-map/browse_thread/thread/39a02626e0cc6de?pli=1

This could be the reason why some devices are acting strange using Google sky map. Problems with Google Android drivers.

You mentioned earlier that the compass service test did not help? It isn't supose to do anything other then let you check the compass figures. Check that the angle figures change accordingly to the movement of the phone. You can do this for the Accelerometer as well. Just check that your numbers are changing according to how your moving the phone.

This will show you if the phone compass and accelerometer components is working properly.

However, I can replicate problems with two of the app's you mentioned. I could not find the Space junk app, just found a game called Space junk.

Unfortunately there's not much more I can do but to forward this and if it's something that we can change, lets hope for a fix in upcoming software.

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Community Manager
Johan

Yes, I know. It's really strange. Just tested Google Sky map in an Xperia arc. Works just fine.

I use the latest firmware in all my phones.

This has now been passed on. I will post again as soon as I hear anything about this strange problem.

sony_logo126x24.gif

One time poster
ammdispose

Hi Johan

Any update from developers?

What is the exact reason?

Will we get fix for this bug?

Thanks.

One time poster
Tsarli

I'm also experiencing this issue with Google Sky Map (East is West, no other directions than East, etc.). I'm glad that someone found a solution to this, but how exactly am I to input these values?

ak897xmagnetic_axis_map = 0,1,2

ak897xmagnetic_axis_sign = -1,-1,1

Is some rooting involved? I'm no stranger to the process, having previously rooted and modded my Samsug Spica and LG P350, but I've pretty much stayed with the stock ROM on my Live with Walkman which is now updated to ICS (official stock version).

I'd be mighty thankful if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks!

One time poster
ThunderBird5

Look at Johan's advice - the 3rd post up -  the file mame is system/etc/sensors/conf

I had previously rooted using Flashtool.

I used Flashtool to pull the file above - type the path in one panel and file name in the other

and changed the sensor attributes

and saved them - a button down the bottom completes this ( I never found any instructions for Flashtool - it just worked for me)

One time poster
Tsarli

Finally found the time to deal with this and fix the Google Sky Map issue. I can confirm that this works perfectly.

Flashtool

Path: system/etc/

File: sensor.conf

and edited:

ak897xmagnetic_axis_map = 0,1,2

ak897xmagnetic_axis_sign = -1,-1,1

At long last I can use Google Sky Map.

One time poster
sigterm

Hey Johan,

as already written the problem caused by incorrect configuration of sensors. I have recently updated my wt19i to 4.1.B.0.587, but the problem is still there: the mentioned apps (Google sky etc) stuck to east.

Is there any chance to get this problem fixed in an upcoming LWW firmware update? I mean, in my understanding the problem could be fixed quite easily. Most of us would not root the device, and, the problem exists since I bought my phone (running Gingerbread)...

Thanks for your reply in advance!