Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

One time poster
ammdispose
Accepted Solution

Google Sky Map/SatelliteAR/Space Junk apps shows West as East (East also as East)

I had already reported this problem at this location:

http://talk.sonyericsson.com/message/154707

Repair center has failed to resolve the issue and so I am recreating a new thread as I am no more getting any answer in old thread as well.

In the mean while someone else (User: jugunu) also reported the same problem.

Sony Ericsson repair center has given me back my mobile saying that everything is changed and we cant do anything now. And asked me to escalate the issue by calling Sony Ericsson (they want me to follow up instead of solving themselves inspite being official service center)

They said they replaced motherboard which means they replaced everything except the plastic cover but cant solve the riddle anymore.

So inshort my problem is STILL there. West is still shown as East. East also as East.

I tried three apps

1) Google Sky Map

2) SatelliteAR

3) Space Junk

Satellite AR keeps showing me error that "Compass calibration is unreliable"

I keep trying to calibrate compass by making  8 OR infinity symbol in air while holding mobile in palm. (The method I found on youtube) But it still continues to show "Compass calibration unreliable"

I hope I get a solution after buying such an expensive phone. Otherwise its not fair deal from Sony Ericsson side.

Anonymous(anon)

Re: Google Sky Map/SatelliteAR/Space Junk apps shows West as East (East also as East)

Hello, I have the same issue.

Also have wt19i, with the latest firmware installed (4.0.2.A.0.62). Phone is three weeks old, in original state without any screen or other protectors etc. I even managed not to drop it on the floor all this time, which is quite an accomplishment for me.

Tried with all three apps and got same response as ammdispose.

The issue for me is a little worse - My phone never shows north or south, it gets to about south-east and north-east. Up and down are fine.

GPS Status app shows west OK.

Cheers

One time poster
ammdispose

Re: Google Sky Map/SatelliteAR/Space Junk apps shows West as East (East also as East)

Yes there is some problem with Live with walkman.

SE needs to admit it and find the solution, some set of motherboards definitely have this defect.

One time poster
ammdispose

I contacted local Sony Ericsson support over phone.

The number that is given here for Sony Ericsson services:

http://sein.servicetrack.in/ (Official Site for SE services and tracking mobiles given for repair)

After explaining problem to CC, the call was transferred to senior person.

It was weird to hear from him that he did not have Live with walkman with him to test the application.

So he installed Google Sky Map and Satellite AR on Xperia Play and said its WORKING fine!!

So he asks me to reinstall everything again (which I have already done numerous time). He also tells me to update "satellite database". I have no idea how it is related to this when 3 most popular applications are giving same problem?

In the end his tone was such that he is trying to avoid solving my problem. But I stressed on for resolution so in the end he said he will try on other android mobiles and call me back in 2hrs. (Btw I was promised a call back in 30min earlier too which never happened and I had to call again after waiting for 5hrs)

So Sony Ericsson service center failed!

Sony Ericsson support forum stopped responding completely.

And now Sony Ericsson tech. support is also on verge of giving no solution?

What shud I do? Give up?

Community Manager
Johan

I'm sorry to hear that you've been met in this way by your local support team.

I will take a Live with Walkman flash it with latest firmware and try this right away.

I'll post again soon.

One time poster
ammdispose

Thank you for the reply.

Please make sure you are using the same hardware and same firmware as that being distributed in India.

Either its bug in hardware or its bug in software. I have no idea where.

One time poster
ammdispose

Also SE local team has still not contacted me as expected.

I dropped them e-mail as well (xperia.in@support.sonyericsson.com). Which gave me an auto-generated ticket number but otherwise I have not got any reply till now.

Community Manager
Johan

I have now tested this and at first I got a really dodgy result, it swapped east/west south/north just as you describing.

But when I moved to a place where there are less magnetic field around I got a pretty accurate result. So I think that the digital compass in the phone is sensitive to the magnetic fields surrounding you. Because when it was pointing correctly and I put another next to the LWW I got dodgy result again.

I tip, go to the service menu. (enter *#*#7378423#*#* in the dialer) Go to Service tests and do the compass test. Calibrate according to the image and the check the values. Do this while located in a area with less magnetic fields surrounding you.

Conclusion. I think there's nothing wrong with your phone, it's just sensitive to surrounding magnetic filed's.

One time poster
ammdispose

Hi Johan,

Applications I use are related to sky.

So when I actually use those applications I am on terrace of my apartment.

Terrace is fully open and with NOT A SINGLE ELECTRICAL OR MECHANICAL instrument or anything is out there. I myself have no pacemaker! Nor I wear any magnetic watch.

All I have surrounding me is cool breeze. Which I do not think affects magnetic field.

And plus I have tried this at different different places. Everywhere it affects only WEST.

I have also tried *#*#7378423#*#* thing like ten times already in past 1 month. It does not help.

As I said, please try with the LWW which is being sold in India or atleast with firmware that is being distributed in India.

Thank you.

One time poster
ammdispose

Also Johan, it has not swapped EAST and WEST or NORTH and SOUTH.

That is NOT what I have described in my problem.

My problem is NOT SWAPPING... my problem is ONLY WEST direction is shown wrong (as EAST). East, North, South are shown perfectly correctly.

Hope this helps you somehow.

Thanks again.