One time poster
marantz777

Re: pc companion problem

Here i am, i have included 4 screenshot taken on XP.

My XP is behind a firewalled router, port 80 is open, i can navigate, send and receive emails, see youtube video. I do not know if PC Companion requires some ports to be open on firewall, but no error messages indicates me what to open and if is required.

DOWNLOAD ZIP LOG FILE (Stored on google documents)

Any panel i open in PC Companion remain EMPTY WHITE BLANK,

PC Companion #1.png

PC Companion #2.png

PC Companion #3.png

PC Companion #4.png

My phone cant connect, despite perfectly working and firmware updated.

If i reinstall PC Companion, i can connect ONE TIME, but restarting PC Companion connection is lost again. Anyway, panels are ALWAYS BLANKED, and PC Companion claim for a NON EXISTENT update.

Hope this helps,

Paolo

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Marrantz777,

Thanks for the log.

I have one question? Are you administrator of your computer?

In the log many Dll can not be registered in your computer, that is why you have only an empty panels.

So could you:

1) check you are adminotrator. If not change your user profile and/or create a new one with administrator rights.

2) unisntall PC Companion

3) re install it and chec if it works.

4) send logs

Hope it helps

Regards,

Sebastien

Sony Xperia Support
Sony Xperia Support
Sam

Please also try this:

1. Close PC Companion

2. Install java from http://www.java.com/winoffline_installer

3. Start PC Companion again and try to do the SW Update of the phone.

Anonymous(anon)

For Baca76

Many Thanks! I also had the same problem and almost gave up. I see that this is a general problem with this program. I hope now works.

SE: you a big black dot.

Baca76: a huge congratulations to you!

PS: What a strange bug fixes ...

One time poster
marantz777

I have SOLVED my problems with PC Companion (almost).

PC Companion is onlyan empty workbench, that need to download updated modules from the net in order to populate main screen and activate all discrete available functions.

I had to make uses of tools for sysinternals to figure out what's wrong, like FileMon, Process Explorer, etc.

PC Companion access the network downloading some XML files that represent available modules, versioning,etc.etc.... they CAN BE DOWNLOADED MALFORMED.

This may happens (as in my case) when you have in your office some web/http filtering or antispamming that blocks download or inject some html content assiming informations are to be rendered in a web browser (Like... this page has been verified by... or you cannot have acces to this page content because...)

All my problems are that THERE IS NO CHECK if these files are malformed or modified by third party product,so received XML is badly validated, resulting NON in a crash but in a MISSING FUNCTIONALITY of downloaded modules.

This is BAD BAD BAD programming of PC Companion.

I suggesto programmers toadd a CRC check or some sort of validation on all stuff downloaded from the ned, and if they looks like an HTTP error message or a custom web page (that nobody will read), signal the problem to the user or crash with exception, but NEVER go ahead with unpredictable results.

I dont remember now exactly where these files are downloaded, something like
C:\ProgramData\Sony Ericsson\Sony Ericsson PC Companion\...

I strongly suggest, after you have uninstalled the product, to REMOVE these folders and reinstall the same PC Companion product using a different network access (without web filters and with antivirus deactivated).

In my case, this have CURED almost all of the problems (white screens, missing widgets...)

Try it. Best regards,

Paolo Marani

Anonymous(anon)

marantz777 a écrit:

This may happens (as in my case) when you have in your office some web/http filtering or antispamming that blocks download or inject some html content assiming informations are to be rendered in a web browser (Like... this page has been verified by... or you cannot have acces to this page content because...)

THIS is VERY VERY VERY BAD programming, IMO.

However, I'm happy that you solved your issue. I would be interested to know which crappy filtering/antispamming program you use.

Anonymous(anon)

Thanks baca76...

For the last two days, I have been trying to solve this problem and sent http://talk.sonymobile.com/message/178692#178692 yesterday.

While I was reading discussion messages from the beginning, I suddenly encountered your message. And a couple of minutes ago I have just sorted the problem out by the help of your instructions.

Have a great day. :smileyhappy: