Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
One time poster
nitro

WiFi Direct - Hardware or software dependent feature?

If i understand correctly, WiFi Direct allows phones to connect together using WiFi without having the need for an access point or a router.

What I am wondering is, is this feature software dependent or requires a diffrent kind of WiFi module?

Also will it be there in the upcoming android 4.0.4 update for Xperia 2011 family?

Anonymous(anon)

Re: WiFi Direct - Hardware or software dependent feature?

DLNA, lets you play files amongst devices which are connected the same WiFi network.

So, say I have a WiFi Connection at home, which I use for internet on my AI. I also have an Xperia Mini Pro and an Xperia Arc S aswell. Now I connected the two smartphones, to the WiFi connection at home. Then, using the app called Connected devices, I can play movies on my Xperia Mini Pro at the Arc S or even my PC.

Here's a video showing the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgvTQ_mMBgg

So, it does half of the work WiFi direct could do, so may be it will meet your needs. :smileyhappy:

Regarding WiFi Direct, check out http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1575721, Post #10.

Seems like it indeed is a software Feature, whose API is there in ICS, but was not implemented by Sony in the 4.0.3. Hopefully, we will see it in the 4.0.4. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Rick

Anonymous(anon)

More proof that WiFi direct is a sowftware dependent feature...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1539752&highlight=wi-fi+direct

==features==

- Pre-rooted

- Great Audio Improvement

- 100% Supercharged

- *** kernalizer included

- Swipe to remove notification

- Gapps base included

- Based on official ICS release from Sony

- Facebook Inside Xperia

- Timescape

- Bravia Engine, xLoud

- Wifi Direct

- SystemUI with widgets

- Face-unlock feature

- New home.apk

It's a ROM for the Arc/S, and has teh WiFI direct as one of the features.

Thanks,

Rick

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Indeed it's software

http://www.dlna.org/Consumer-Home/dlna-community/faq

Non-DLNA Certified devices can be adopted into your connected home by using DLNA Certified® software. This software is designed to upgrade your older or non-DLNA Certified® digital devices, specifically your smartphone and tablet, enabling them to work seamlessly with other DLNA Certified® products in your home. In addition, DLNA technology can allow a non-DLNA Certified® TV to connect with certain DLNA Certified® devices in your home, such as a DLNA Certified® game console or Blu-Ray player when hooked up to a non-DLNA Certified® TV.

Don't forget to mark theCorrect Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

One time poster
nitro

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully we'll see it in 4.0.4.

Anonymous(anon)

Wi Fi direct is not DLNA, uliwooly.

DLNA is there in GB, as well as ICS on any 2011 Sony Smartphone, and can be acessed by the app called Connected Devices (correct me if I am wrong, I want to learn). It doesn't let you share your files device to device, as WiFi direct does. It just lets you Play media on devices connected to the same WiFI network (so you do need a router for DLNA, but not in WiFi direct).

IMO, both DLNA and WiFi derict are software implemented (you are sure about DLNA now, thanks to uliwooly :smileyhappy:).

Thank You,

Rick

Forum Legend
uliwooly

:smileysilly: my bad

Don't forget to mark theCorrect Answers & Helpful Answers

"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." Kurt Cobain (1967-1994)

Anonymous(anon)

But you were helpful, as always. After all you are the Super User uliwooly. :smileyhappy:.

If I were the author of this post, your reply on DLNA would be marked as helpful by me. :smileyhappy:

Thank You,

Rick

Forum Legend
uliwooly

Excellent

Mr_Burns.png

Anonymous(anon)

:smileyhappy:. Cool.