Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Anonymous(anon)
Accepted Solution

PC companion = trash!

I have had a SE W995 telehone for years now.

lately, I changed for a SE Xperia Arc

Right from the start, a few years ago, I found that my previous telephone before the W995 (a Samsung), could dump my contacts to a text file on my PC at least, that I could use in Excel or import elsewhere, while the SE software would not import or export anything.

So I retyped my then 210 mostly business contacts into the W995, then backed them up on the PC with the SE software.

Now I got the new Xperia Arc, and wanted to transfer my contacts from one SE telephone to the other:

When starting PC companion, I unfortunately clicked OK for the update that was available - and lost the means of recoginising my W995 via USB.

So I had to deinstall/reinstall PC companion, and NOT update it, and upload my contact again to the PC.

(I run XP, and only run XP for tools that still don't run on Linux, such as PC companion)

SO I finally could back up my now 250 contacts from the W995, then wanted to upload them to the Xperia Arc.

But now, "thanks" to SE, I need to give away all my contacts to Google before I can put them into the Xperia Arc, and can't even find them at Google's anymore to delete them - what a progress - I'm not happy with this!

Next problem - once downloaded to the Xperia Arc, many contacts were missing their second telephone number, and some were missing the only number they had. So I spent half an hour with both telephones in my hands to manually repair my contacts database.

Last not least, the PC companion software still does not propose any export to text or csv files for further use today.

Apart from that, beyond PC companion, I feel emprisoned as a "dumb" user in the software running on the telephone, which does not let me do anything the operator and SE don't want me to do, and runs a lot of gimmick software that I can't always stop from running.

As a daily user of a Linux system for 5 years now, I am not used to being handled by my desktop, like Windows users are.

I'm used to being the boss in my machine, even if it contains the risk of doing something wrong.

As a logical consequence, I start thinking about getting my bootloader unblocked, lose my phone's warranty - tough!, and go the root way...

Even Orange can't tell me why I get sent into circles by the email software on the phone, and never can get my mail, even less get a attached pdf displayed, and want to charge me for an answer they have to find.

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

Re: PC companion = trash!

http://www.fjsoft.at/en/downloads.php With regards to transferring contacts, and other data, between your two phones and also exporting them into Excel and Word, have you tried using My Phone Explorer on your PC?

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Doc,

No, I haven't tried myphone explorer yet: do I need to download / buy it anywhere to use it?

For the moment, I was more busy binning shortcuts form my phone's dektop (since there isn't anything like a packet manager (linux) or add/remove software (windows) to clean up the place for real.

Adding more software was next.

Thank you for the link to the import/export software.

Meanwhile, I found at least how to clean my (unwillingly created) google account and toss the

contacts: https://www.google.com/dashboard/?hl=en&pli=1

The orange mobile email server is down altogether, the orange support forum recommends changing the mail accoun't password form a PC to make it work, while the blunt, straight-forward google-search of the orange webmail interface finds the webmail home page, and even logs me in, but when I click on the envelope to see my mail, it tells me I use the wrong browser and need to install Internet Explorer, last version.. what a nonsense.. so I wait for orange mobile mail to come up again.

Back to the task of exporting my contacts from the Xperia to Excel or whatever :-)

Thanks again

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

No problem, My Phone Explorer is completely free and needs to be downloaded to a PC.It has a range of features and functions which PC companion doesn't, one of which is allowing you to import and then restore your sms back to the phone.

Anonymous(anon)

Hm, I can't get the Phone explorer to find the USB connection to the phone, while PC companion does.

(I run XP home edition under Virtualbox on a Linux host)

I deinstalled PC companion and rebooted, because it kept "snatching" the USB device that turns up when I connect the Xperia Arc.

What else can I do? my PC does not have Bluetooth nor Wifi.

I might try the same operation on my laptop, which has these interfaces.

The Xperia Arc has it's USB port set to "mass storage" (MSC), not MTP.

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

Try setting the arc's USB mode to Phone/PC mode, as it will not connect to My Phone Explorer (MPE) in mass storage mode.

Failing that, install the MPE client in the phone from this link:

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&feature=search_result

Also turn on USB debugging.

Hope this helps.

Anonymous(anon)

Hi Gypaete09,

It seems you have not tried Contacts setup application in PC Companion, it does what you ask for.

PCCompanion.png

Good Luck!

Anonymous(anon)

I did use that sub-application, and as the logo shows (google cloud in the middle), it only imports/exports to a google mail account that you have to create.

That done, the export to the new telephone seemed to be working, but proved incomplete, missing second numbers of many contacts, and the only number on some others.

I had to manually repair the 230+ contacts with both old and new telephones in hand, half an hour of work with possible typing errors.

I *did* see the export feature on the google account, so I did an export to a csv file, then

deleted all the contacts from google.

Basically, I am not happy to be forced to do this operation via google, who gets all my contacts,

and deleting them later does not make a big difference.

PC companion should be able to do such operations locally, without Internet connectivity.

Anonymous(anon)

I got a step further after installing the MPE client and setting USB debugging on (the phone is now set to use MTP mode on the USB, as for use with PC companion), and MPE finds a device , but says it cannot identify it.

what else could be wrong?

(P.S. Franz-Josef: I could do this conversation in German, but prefer that others can use it later)

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

Have you tried changing the connection settings in My Phone Explorer (on the PC version)? The USB connection is usually via COM Port 3.