Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Anonymous(anon)

Re: PC companion = trash!

I'm afraid I don't understand fully. I only see COM ports mentioned for the connection of a SE telephone with modem connection.

I enabled COM3 on my virtualbox XP machine,

I tried to connect the telephone as a Se with modem - nogo

I tried the previous config via USB - same problem - progress bar to 50% of the connect window, then the message that the telephone can't be identified.

Maybe I still do something wrong, or need to "replay" the whole scenario under native XP that I have on another partition. The older SE software before PC companion needed that, too.

Anonymous(anon)

It seems to be some USB communications issue that is not correctly handled through a XP Virtualbox

machine under Linux (Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), because when I boot under native XP, it works.

PC companion's predecessor also had this problem in the past, but not anymore.

Thanks for the hint to MPE, I will test it a bit more now.

Will it ever be avilable for Linux, too? after all, Android is a little brother of Linux

Anonymous(anon)

Please check the screenshot again, I believe they've updated the application with local transfer of contacts, it's not only the google way....

Anonymous(anon)

Thethirdone: yes, that's what it looks like. Due to the tests with My Phone Explorer, though, I needed to deinstall PC companion, because it "snatched "the USB connection for itself.

I'll reinstall PC companion and have a look.

but I have to say that MPE is much more interesting as an application, although I need to boot my PC on a native Windows partition for the moment, in order to use it.

Anonymous(anon)

True, MPE is a great application, mainly since it's using the ADB (Android Debuging) interface and a support application on the phone, giving it more capabilites. I think SE wanted to simplify the USB stuff and go for online instead... or they see some issues with using ADB.

Anonymous(anon)

Still, saving contacts under a common file format, like csv, was already part of my ancient Samsung's software, and SE kept "forgetting" that functionality in PC companion.

As pointed out elsewhere, I am anyway unhappy with a telephone that forces me into the role of the

dumb user - I don't deny though, that many users would trash their phones in two days, if this wasn't the case.

Since I need my phone for business, I'm not yet ready to take the risk of doing that by becoming a root user of my phone and lose my warranty, but that day will come ;-)

Thanks to all - closing the thread

Anonymous(anon)

I'm always staggered by people that buy a Google phone and complains that they need to use Google services... If you don't want that, buy something else :smileywink:

In addition, you could have exported your contacts on the W995 memory card as a vcf file(s), and then copy the file(s) onto the Xperia's memory card to import them. The new version of Contacts Setup proposes this option so you don't have to upload the contacts anywhere.