Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Not all photos show up in media manager (SE Vivaz)

Hi, I have photo's from 2008-2009 (taken with C905) and photo's from 2009-2012 (Vivaz) on the memory stick of the device. The device has been updated with the latest firmware R2EA023, it has been reset a number of times. The problem is, the media manager scans and lists photo's up until the start of 2011. So when I want to view photo's taken in 2011 and 2012, I have to use the file manager.

Is there an upper limit to the amount of photo's the device scans into the library and how can I change that limit?

Or is there a maximum size to the library? If so, could you tell me what it is?

If not, can anybody suggest a different media manager?

To be clear: I like the SE Media manager. This just seems like a bug to me.

Trustee
Markus

Re: Not all photos show up in media manager (SE Vivaz)

It does indeed sound like a bug.

Can you please try to install Media Go and see if it works?

http://mediago.sony.com/enu/introduction/

You do not have to uninstall Media Manager for this one. Just try it to see if we can rule out some possibilities.

Media Manager was cut off and replaced with Media Go a couple of years ago so there won't be any fixes to the program if it turns out ot be a bug.

Anonymous(anon)

You misunderstood me. I am not talking about any kind of SE software which can be installed on the desktop (I use *nix). I am talking about the media manager app on the phone. When you open it, you have the options "Photo, Music and Video". At the bottom of the screen you can either refresh the library or close the app. I believe it's the same interface used on PSP's and other SE devices.

As far as I can tell, it seems to scan Music alright. Dunno about Videos, since I don't use the phone to record anything. The problem is that it doesn't scan all of the pictures in de Camera folder. It seems to stop after reaching a certain number of photos. So no more thumbnails are created or can be viewed on the device. That's why I mentioned having to go through Menu -> File Manager to view the latest photos.

Trustee
Markus

Ah, sorry. I got you now.

I assume you have tried to manually update the phone by tapping on the refresh library option.

Have you tried to remove the SD card and then insert it again?

There should not be a limit to how many photos the phone can scan in the media library but it clearly sounds as there is. One thing you could try to confirm or rule this is would be to check which the latest photos are, delete a few old ones, refresh the library and see if new ones pop up.

Either way I would suggest you connect the phone in mass storage mode to a PC (USB connection), transfer all media to your hard drive and the format the card. All data will be lost when you do this so make sure to copy all to the hard drive on the PC before doing this. Afterwards you can copy all back.

Anonymous(anon)

No apologies necessary. :-)

The library usually auto-updates but I have tried several times indeed to load the "missing" images by tapping the refresh library button. Inserting and re-inserting the sd card doesn't help. To be precise, it's a Transcend type 4 microSDHC 32GB. I have also used 8GB and 16GB cards.

I am not sure about the amount of pictures but the total space used on the SD is approx. 3.4 GB. That's why I was wondering about an upper limit for the pictures. Since when I do remove the years 2009 and 2010, it loads the pictures from 2011-2012 into the library with no problem at all. So I have tried your suggestion of removing old ones before. The device is my one-shop-for-all-thingy (photo-music-nav-etc.), so I wouldn't want to use that as the solution for this problem.

Another thing I have tried is moving the "older" pictures to the "Other" directory in an attempt to fool the device. But alas it still scans them and forgets about the more recent photos. The only way to fool it is to compress the folders to zip. But then, I can't unzip 'em on the fly when I'm with friends/family and want to show them a photo from 2009 for instance.

I have a different brand of card at home (8GB) which I could also try. But I don't think it has anything to do with that, since the device does load all of my music (approx. 10GB) into the library.

Trustee
Markus

The phone actually only support SD card with storage up to 16 GB which very well could be the reason here. If you do have another SD card (>=16GB) I suggest you try with this one before we look at other options (which would be to either format the present one or to even master reset the phone/repair the software).

According to the phone's technical manual (white paper) this is what's supported:

SanDisk microSD™, up to 16 GB

Page 5:

http://dl-www.sonyericsson.com/cws/download/1/724/187/1264596177/WP_Vivaz_1c.pdf

Anonymous(anon)

Sorry for the late reply. I did what you suggested: insert 16GB card, formatted it with the phone, filled it with my 4GB or so of photos and additional pictures (test case), and the phone's media manager displays them all. I have about 7-8GB of music, so I will drop that this evening onto the disk and see if it still keeps going and going and going (like the Duracell bunny).

You are indeed correct as far as the phone specifications go. On the other hand, (since it boils down to the hardware interface afaik) *unofficially* the phone also supports larger disks. My 32GB Sandisk card can be formatted, browsed through, used and accessed by all other applications (including the camera, games, navigation software with 7GB of maps), with no problem.

The issue really lies with the media manager application on the phone. Why does it display all of the 8GB of music on the 32GB card but refuses to display all of the pictures? That must have something to do with some set boundary on the total size of one's library. Or a bug in the media scanner, meaning it might be crashing/exiting when the library file gets too big or perhaps whilst traversing through deep directory structures. I do not know. What I do know is that the phone RAM should not be a problem, nor disk space (since I keep the C-drive clean and save everything on the microSD).

If you could suggest a way I could perform specific test and provide you with technical information or logs, I would gladly like to help.

Anonymous(anon)

Sorry, it took so long to get back to this. But busy with work and other stuff.

Have tested the 16GB card and can confirm that it is a media player bug. On the 16GB card, filled with music and pictures, now it refuses to scan the whole music folder and also doesn't display the latest photo. So I'm back to removing the oldest picture-folder from the card in order to view recent pictures in the media application. Browsing with the file manager still works flawlessly.

I will try to overwrite the firmware once again this weekend.

(Note: have done this twice before.)