Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Anonymous(anon)

Cedar (J108i) Persistent GPRS Connection

I have a Cedar using a Pay-As-You-Go SIM.

I have found, to my cost, that as soon as I turn it on it connects to GPRS and is using up my Credit at a rate of 10 per day - to do nothing.

Does anyone know how to stop it?

I haven't set up any connections, e.g. Internet, and have nothing selected through the Widget Manager, i.e. no Twitter or Facebook.

I wouldn't mind, but I'm getting no benefit and the only way to stop it is to turn the phone off.

Any constructive suggestions would be appreciated

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

Re: Cedar (J108i) Persistent GPRS Connection

The first thing you can do is switch off your internet connection by creating a dummy data account:

Main menu--Settings--Connectivity--Internet settings--Connect using--Press select and from Options select Create New--just give it a name, select and save.Then, if you have exhausted all possible options as to why it connects to the web automatically (such as Push email, web feeds, etc) to no avail, you can try a master reset or running the update service, either one of which should delete any setting that is causing it to connect to the web automatically.

Failing all of that, I suggest you try using a different SIM card.Is your phone branded and/or locked into a particular network?

Hope this helps.

Anonymous(anon)

Dr_Chris,

I have created a Null Internet Connection Setting and the Allow local conn is set to No, but how do I know if that stopped the traffic?

I can't see anything that tells me I am connected.

At the moment the only way I know my phone is connected is because my credit is being used up.

Given I have topped up my phone I don't want to be changing SIMs. The phone isn't branded/locked to a particular network so I could change provider, but to what end? It's the phone that's connecting to the GPRS Network and hass nothing to do with the SIM.

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

First of all, the Allow local connection setting is for Bluetooth and WiFi (which the Cedar doesn't have, but even if it did, a WiFi connection would be free anyway), but if you want to know whether your phone still connects to the mobile internet, you can see this when the blue planet icon descends at the top of the screen (if you see this icon, then you're connected to the mobile internet), or, because sometimes this icon isn't visible, you can go to: Main menu--Settings--Calls--Time & cost--Data counters--Here you can check whether there has been an increase in your data usage (you can reset the counter and then see if there is any data usage when you're not sure whether you have been inadvertently using the mobile internet).

If there is no data usage and you're still being charged, then this means that there's a different reason, such as automatic sms sending from an application(check your Messages counter using the same menu as before), so you need to amend any settings that might be causing this.

Let me know the result.

Anonymous(anon)

Dr_Chris,

Managed to get it sorted, but only by using the Master Reset and then reinstating everything.

I still don't know what was causing it to automatically connect as soon as I put Credit on the phone, but it has now stopped.

Many thanks for your help.

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

No worries, glad it's sorted--resetting the phone must have deleted whatever setting was causing this problem.