Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly
Accepted Solution

It's goodbye to the Sony Ericsson Sync Service. And hello to the Google Sync Service.

It's goodbye to the Sony Ericsson Sync Service.
And hello to the Google Sync Service.

Google Sync Service

Discover how to switch to Google Sync Services today – either straight from your handset or via the web

Things to do. People to see. Places to go. Thank goodness you’ve got your Sony Ericsson Handset handy to keep you organised. But what if your Sony Ericsson Handset could look after you even more efficiently? How great would that be? Well the good news is that now it can, thanks to Google Sync Services.
Google Sync Services puts you in control of all your contacts and calendars. It’s also a member of Google’s Mobile services family, which includes Gmail, Google Voice Search, Google Maps and YouTube – so you can be confident it works like a dream.
The Sony Ericsson Sync service will close down on 29 December. But there’s no need to worry because you can transfer all your stuff across to Google Sync Services today – either straight from your handset or via the web.

Discover how to switch account 
Got a problem? Our Contact Centre will help 
Thanks,
The Sony Ericsson Team

Sony Ericsson - make believe

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Re: It's goodbye to the Sony Ericsson Sync Service. And hello to the Google Sync Service.

Dear user,

We are phasing out Sony Ericsson Sync service since it was meant for old generation phones and our aim is to create a more enhanced and integrated smartphone experience for you. As an alternative to Sony Ericsson Sync service, we recommend you to use the Google Sync service for a more integrated experience in line with the favorite range of Google Mobile Services like Google Voice Search, Google Maps and YouTube. Other alternatives are Plaxo and UNYK. If you're already using other sync services, you can of course continue to use them instead.

* "Transfer in phone" instructions are applicable for Android phones only.

* Users of non-Android phones do not need to take on "Transfer in phone" actions.

Transfer in Phone (Android)
Step by Step instruction
    Go to "Phonebook"
    Press the menu button
    Select "Back up contacts" and select "Memory card"
    Confirm export by clicking "Ok"
    Wait until export is done
    Press menu button and select "import contacts"
    Select "Memory Card"
    Select desired destination account (e.g. Google). Do not use the Sony Ericsson Sync ML account.
    Select "Import vCard file"
    Select the file you generated above
Note
Make sure your memory card is inserted in the phone.

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

Re: It's goodbye to the Sony Ericsson Sync Service. And hello to the Google Sync Service.

Transfer from web
Step by Step instruction
    Go to www.sonyericsson.com/user in your Internet browser
    Go to "Contacts" view
    Select "Import/Export" button 
    Select "Export to vCard"
    Save "contacts.vcf" file
Note
There is also "Export to text" function available in same view. By clicking on "Export to text" a list of contacts is generated. It is possible to save this list as a text file or to print out.
Import contacts to Google Sync
    Go to http://www.gmail.com in your Internet browser
    Go to "Contacts" view
    Select "More"
    Select "Import"
    Select "Browse"
    Find and select the contacts.vcf file you already created
    Select "Import"
    Check that contacts are correctly imported

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

up

One time poster
WinterStars

Frankly I have never used SE sync since I got an xperia phone. The last time I used was with W595.:smileylaugh:

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

I'd tried to use it but it was always down or deleting some contacts or all contacts, in average 2 out of 10 times it worked, so I'm glad that SE sync will be gone :smileysilly:

Enthusiast
paul4os

This is very disappointing. SE Sync was good (and had nice interface for undeleting and notes).

I do not like the path that Sony Ericsson are following on encouraging users to give their data to Google. I do not trust Google and I want as little of my data with Google as is possible. IMO SE are becoming too dependent on Google and instead we need companies like SE to be standing up and prevent Google from getting out of control. Please SE, give us independence from Google spying in every way possible!

... anyway, looks like I'm now going to have to temporarily move it to a Microsoft server of all things before I set my own server up :smileyangry:

PS: what also happened to the Sony Ericsson app on the desktop version of Facebook. Why are SE killing all these great services? Facebook is a company I trust even less than Google and have much of our contact data in their walled garden of Zuckerberg evil. The Sony Ericsson on desktop Facebook app went some way to getting data out of Facebook and onto your phone, and was a superior way to deal with matching contacts and duplicates. Now on my phone, I can't see Facebook contact data without remaining signed into the Facebook spy machine - this is horrible, also because the Facebook Android app is arrogant, badly written and buggy. Can we have the desktop Sony Ericsson facebook app back please?

Forum Legend
uliwooly-wooly

it seems that you might not stay with Android any more after the ICS update? since more and more of everything on your phone will be on google's clouds

Enthusiast
paul4os

This thread should be moved to the "other" section as isn't Arc-specific.

Enthusiast
paul4os

Yes, I will indeed abandon Android if Google take things too far - perhaps to a Google-stripped fork. I don't want Android to deteriorate to that stage, and it's precisely why I will never buy a Google Nexus device. I would like Sony Ericsson to stand up more and give a default install with the option not to use Google services, or at least allow access to Google services but to curtail Google's potential to control OUR devices which WE own, and OUR data and privacy (the feature where Android market can install anything it likes remotely is particularly concerning).

This isn't only a privacy issue either. One security flaw on Google servers and fraudsters could gain access to our data, our devices and do God knows what else.

Come on SE - LESS GOOGLE CONTROL, NOT MORE.

PS: Now that Sony is taking over, I don't want my phone to turn into a Sony spying machine either. Sony should also know about root-kits on CDs and security flaws on cloud servers :smileywink: