Please help us improve our website

Take our customer survey to evaluate your visit.

It should only take a few minutes to answer five quick questions. Just click the Launch survey button at the end of your visit to begin.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements

What do you think about our community?

Take a moment and share your thoughts around this community by doing this short survey.

Forum Legend
Dr_Chris

Re: poor quality of camera picture

I've looked at the photo several times but can't see any blue horizontal lines.

Anonymous(anon)

You should look at it in full size.  Look at the middle portion in the dark background and you will see.  I also attached a recent picture.  Read around in the comments on the Elm in the Esato forums and you will definitely come accross this issue with the Elm's camera when taking pictures in low light.

N.B.

In the picture I attached in this this post, when viewed full size, the blue line can be seen near the rim of the cup in the dark backgound portion.

Anonymous(anon)

I think it is because of the light. It's maybe because you're too near your subject, and that the rim is white, which has the tendency of  letting some frequency of colors bounce back. Just a thought.... :smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

i think maybe because you are using a setting not suitable for the scenery you are trying to capture a picture with. You can always try to increase or decrease the exposure with the use of your side volume keys. You can also try altering the "White Balance" on your phone's camera setting. The phone may feature a 5MP lens, but still, it is different from a real DSLR camera. the 5MP for me, only describes the size of the picture in Pixels. On your ELM, try using VGA size, 1MP, 2MP, or anything that is below the maximum size and see if there is any improvements. Regarding sound, try to play it a notch before the maximum volume and use a Headphone or a headset that has a good bass reflex on it.

Anonymous(anon)

I don't think it's simply with the settings but rather a software problem with the Elm.  Setting the camera to a lower EV might help but the camera driver should take care of that since the blue lines are not evident in other phots taken by other camera phones in low light.  I have been using a couple of camera phones already and SE Elm's camera just doesn't fare well in low light conditions.

You can take a look in http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=195278&start=735  for this known problem with the Elm's camera in Esato.

Anonymous(anon)

Isn't it because of the flash..? haven't tried the Elm personally, but when I did tried other low-end phones' cameras under low-light, the problem is even worse. You not only see blue lines, but lines (i think it's noise) do appear almost all over the screen. My Naite doesn't encounter the same problem, but however has one, the black portion of a photo doesn't seem  to blend well when viewed on the phone, but when transferred on the PC, which definitely have a greater display resolution and a better color depth, displays the Photo very well, without any distortions, blurs and pixelations. You can try to capture an image from the phone, view it on the phone, then view it on the PC. try comparing both scenarios and see if the problem is really with the camera or just the screen resolution and the color depth of the phone. I hope this helps.

Anonymous(anon)

I don't think it's with the flash as I have used other LED phones before.  The Elm's camera module has very good review in daylight which is comparable to those produced by the C901.   The pictures captured by the Elm is similar to that of Hazel since it basically has the same camera module and both are very good in daylight but suffers in low light.  Have you browsed the thread link I posted above and saw the common agrrement on the performance of the camera of the Elm?  (I was assuming sir that you have encountered the Esato boards before since it is a discussion forum originally for users of Ericsson mobile phones).  Well, I am just into cellphone photography just for fun because of the Esato forums.  I don't expect the Elm's camera to function as a DSLR also.  It is just a hobby and I am just sharing my own observation as well as those of other Elm users back in Esato and other local boards I am a member of.  We are hoping that there will be a software fix to the Elm's camera module.  For now, there are camera driver hacks for the Elm but I am not willing to try it since I want an official firmware update fixing the issue coming from SE itself.

C902 picture

Please click the link above for a sample picture taken by the C902 without the blue hroizontal lines.

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/viewphotos.php?pid=32126&make=Sony+Ericsson&model=J10i2

The link above on the other hand is also taken by the Elm and the flash did not fire.

Click on the pictures after clicking the link to view further in full size.

Cheers.:smileyhappy:

Anonymous(anon)

Btw, the Naite being only having a 2Mp camera module is not that very popular in Esato.  Please see the links below of pictures taken by the Naite.  Even in daylight, the colors are not that vibrant.

http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/index.php?make=Sony+Ericsson&model=J105i

Anonymous(anon)

Just saw the photos with the blue horizontal line. But I think it would be better if you could compare the same scenes, of which the photos were taken by different phones. I think it would be the best way to differentiate which is which.

Regarding the Naite, I don't really think it's built for the camera, but for the function of being a basic phone with a few extras. Yeah, the colors are not that vibrant, as if some thin film was blocking the lens. I myself even use the photofix feature at times.

Overall, I think it's not the drivers that needs change, but the camera hardware. You can try to experiment using different compatible drivers for your phone's camera, and maybe you could find the driver that eliminates the problem. Let's just hope that the next update for the phone would include corrections for such problems.

Anonymous(anon)

It's definitely software/driver related since the Elm takes very good photos in daylight which is comparable to one of the best 5Mp camera phones, the C901.  Even the C902 when it was first released tales not so good pictures but subsequent updates improved it's camera performance.  And if you are into SE camera phones, you will be familiar with the modding community of Sony Ercisson.  I just don't want to mess with my Elm at the moment with modding considering also that there are not many mods available for the Elm at this time.

For photo comparisons, I just picked up some pics from Esato since I don't own a C902.  I posted with this reply however pictures taken by the Samsung i900 Omnia and the ELm taken in low light all in auto settings.  I guess my Omnia produced the better picture (view in full size to compare).  Both has 5Mp camera modules.  For daylight pictures though, the Elm takes much better pictures.